1989 Range Rover soft dash conversion

8 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

@RRC200Tdi

nice work on the conversion 👍🏻
as @landroversforeversays the Uk ran a scrappage (spellcheck) scheme not that long ago that saw off plenty of classic and future classic cars 🤮

Thank you 🙂

Hopefully someday I'll be able to finish all the rest of the things I want to do. It wasn't supposed to be a preservation or restoration project so there are a lot of things I did that have hurt its value. It was an old beater that nobody wanted. I categorized it as a basket case when I got it so I had no problem modifying it. Now I get uncomfortable thinking about the crazy things I have done with/to it. I'll feel better if I fully restore another one to offset my Range Rover Classic footprint. Also, I tend to forgot all of this when I am driving it around, or when I'm distracted by thoughts of the leaks that need fixing when I see all the fresh oil spots on the ground 🤔

@RRC200Tdi

i try not to think about my rr  classic footprint (good one that 🤣) as it hurts too much . For me the soft dash LSE is the ultimate incarnation of the rr classic but unfortunately they are pretty much unobtanium now , I nearly , nearly bought one around about 10 years ago , an eBay bid on a vehicle that I hadn’t seen in the flesh and  I wasn’t quite willing to go that extra bit on which in hindsight I obviously should have , good old hindsight 🤪

• 11 months later...

@RRC200Tdi I'm currently going through the dash conversion on my RRC 2 door and following your build. Quick question for you. You still ended up using the windshield from the Range Rover Classic correct?

My 2nd question would be if you did use the RRC windshield what did you do with the taller trim from the newer base from the dash?20220308_114159.thumb.jpg.bebe721fe65e04511ad0942502d4b042.jpg

As you can see from the picture, the trim piece from the Disco dash is a bit taller compared to the original one from the RRC.

Did you just cut off the trim and left it at the same height as the original one on the RRC?

Thanks!

20220308_120542.jpg

Edited by rgel22
Added picture
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

@rgel22, I am so sorry! I only just saw this!  I never saw the notification for your reply so I thought this thread had died. I am so glad to see you undertaking this adventure. How far along are you now? I did not use the trim from the '95. I retained the '89 window opening because I used the '89 windscreen. 

-j 

• 3 months later...

I'm happy to find this thread. I'm in No. Cal. and doing a soft dash swap to my '91 is something I've been planning for a while. I finally just got around to removing all the old hard dash parts and starting to test fit the HVAC etc. I do have a '95 soft dash in storage, but I long ago decided to use a Disco dash. I have a nice one I removed from a friend's '98 that he was parting out several years ago, but since then I've also acquired a '97 Di parts truck. You've answered a lot of my questions that have come up in poking about under there, and I can see I need to remove the dash from my DI parts truck and start to cut out some bits and pieces.