Jump to content

This mornings project


Recommended Posts

Here's my project...

I've got to find a place to put this lot. My wife said she could think of "several places I could stick them". Not sure what she means as I didn't think she'd ever fit any guages to a land rover :rolleyes:

 

IMG_20210402_084549.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Here's my project...

I've got to find a place to put this lot. My wife said she could think of "several places I could stick them". Not sure what she means as I didn't think she'd ever fit any guages to a land rover :rolleyes:

 

IMG_20210402_084549.jpg

They’re neatly stacked .... 

 

ok - I’m sorry 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Stephen - that is not a small metal rack ... it is if you’re British steel, but for a forum of Land Rover owners ... I’m pretty sure that’s huge ! 

Really ! You mean you dont all have one of these regards Stephen 

20210402_130242.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My best little project over the past week other than the engine rebuild and refit was this little beastie for the workshop...

 

image.thumb.jpg.ce8226399de6f50c802280eaf9313d5a.jpg
I took  tatty large chair and nicked the castors off it and then took the back off another chair to make this ‘ whizz around the workshop ‘ stool which works brilliantly until you snag a rogue nut on the floor and come to a stop rather quickly

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gosh - all I’ve achieved today is 3 hours of brushing and hoovering carp out the inside of the 90.

I’ve had so many jobs on it that are just moving away from me, that it’s likely started the process of becoming a shed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I envy you guys.  My project for the day was not feeling irritated at doing an annual teamwork and leadership refresher course that takes the whole working day.  Having been in the role for 23 years, and having held a military commission before that, it’s a little patronising... 🙄 At least the trainer running it was a good guy.

Monkie, I think the Mudstuff console would be your best bet for locating all of those.  It seems to have the most flexibility in location choices, and is also one of the most sensibly priced options.  I’d try to keep the coolant temperature gauge in the main dash and have the oil temperature and pressure gauges together to keep a logical layout.  Obviously, fuel quantity is another for the main binnacle, but which of the others goes where is very much a matter of personal preference.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I envy you guys.  My project for the day was not feeling irritated at doing an annual teamwork and leadership refresher course that takes the whole working day.  Having been in the role for 23 years, and having held a military commission before that, it’s a little patronising... 🙄 At least the trainer running it was a good guy.

Monkie, I think the Mudstuff console would be your best bet for locating all of those.  It seems to have the most flexibility in location choices, and is also one of the most sensibly priced options.  I’d try to keep the coolant temperature gauge in the main dash and have the oil temperature and pressure gauges together to keep a logical layout.  Obviously, fuel quantity is another for the main binnacle, but which of the others goes where is very much a matter of personal preference.

Indeed. What I'm doing is inspired by @ianmayco68 custom dash.

I have tacho, coolant and fuel in the main binnacle, then I have some aluminium sheet I'm making a new dash slightly angled towards the driver to house the boost, EGT, oil pressure, oil temp, volt meter and a USB socket. I'll put up a picture when I've sorted it out 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, simonr said:

This is my little project for the weekend.  New PCBs arrived (from China, after 7 days) on Thursday.

20210404_231630.thumb.jpg.c135add46b23cc0b1e919371f65c3648.jpg20210401_181945.thumb.jpg.42c451983e8240d2c0bcb61266679d1a.jpg

It's a replacement controller for a Webasto ThermoTop C - which dynamically varies the fuel & combustion fan to regulate to a preset temperature, more accurately than the original Full Power / slightly less than full power / Off. 

While I was waiting for the PCBs I thought of a better way for one of the bits to work - but it was only $20 for 5 pcbs delivered.  Mk3 is already in the works!

The Mk1 used a different processor which struggled to measure the temperature accurately.  Mk2 has much more accurate temperature readings.  At the moment I'm measuring the exhaust temperature with a sensor stuck to the exhaust.

Originally the heater used the glow plug to measure the flame temperature.  It's resistance increases from about 1 Ohm to 3 Ohms.  Originally I couldn't think of an easy way to measure the current flow / low resistance without using a shunt.  Then I remembered Current Mirrors as a way of measuring the current flowing through a transistor.  Mk3 will implement this!

Although the 6 pin connector is largely pin compatible with the original, it uses plain serial for diagnostics - much easier to read than the webasto protocol.

This one works just fine for the time being though.  Recorded temperatures are rock steady.

Once I have something I'm really happy with, I'll post the whole thing open source.

Si

 

 

 

Webastardo and Huzzar made me chuckle :lol: 

PCBgogo by any chance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, crclifford said:

Not a this morning project, but having 10 days self isolation following a trip overseas means I get to crack in plastering the house....5 days = 82  20kg bags of lime hemp plaster on the walls and nearly 2 rooms base coated. Only another 98 bags to go to finish the delivery off....lots more still to do.

SNIP--

 

11 hours ago, Anderzander said:

@crclifford lovely !   What does the house look like from outside ? 

Don't tease him, he's not allowed outside! 😛 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Webastardo and Huzzar made me chuckle :lol: 

PCBgogo by any chance?

Me too!

EasyEDA for the circuit design which links seamlesly to JLC PCB who deliver your design, generally within 10 days, often within 7.  I'm nothing but impressed with their quality. 

Surprisingly though, they are geared towards prototyping.  5 boards (minimum order) $0.40 each.  1000 boards, $0.62 each. 10,000 boards, $0.68 each - which makes no sense, but I'm deligted that they favour small orders.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Personal choice but I prefer the walls before the plaster.

 

Good on you for doing it though

In some areas we are leaving them exposed, but on the external walls I am insulating inside, and on the lower walls I a more having to cover up the left over tanking/gypsum plaster we couldn’t get off 6 yrs ago! 

 

 

14 hours ago, Anderzander said:

@crclifford lovely !   What does the house look like from outside ? 

@Anderzander here you go, some photos from a few years ago.

 

 

 

098DEE5D-3D91-4BCD-8749-7D99BC3F4564.jpeg

77545407-58AE-4652-8147-31D62D612493.jpeg

7A3C40F0-5D44-4842-B795-77F94B0F61B8.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy