Extreme E

steve200TDi

If anyone caught Top Gear Episode 2 the other week, you'll know what I'm going on about! (The new Defender was in episode 3!) 

Sounds like an interesting concept and there's certainly high profile drivers, so we'll see what happens.

https://www.extreme-e.com/en/index

It starts in 3 days and looks like you can watch it from the website or youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmlrp3y74JN1L1o1tSdeINw

I think I'll follow it and see how it unfolds!

Steve

image.png.12d0c1da10592c4143209799d3ec9ca0.png

There maybe other TV stations that have it judging by the website!

• Like 1

After reading the report on the online Motor Sport site I watched the highlights via the web.
While allowing that other races in different places might be more interesting, that event was very uninspiring.

Given that it's a PR driven event, it became clear that the publicists had been drinking their own urine.

Regards.

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2021 at 2:13 PM, steve200TDi said:

If anyone caught Top Gear Episode 2 the other week, you'll know what I'm going on about! (The new Defender was in episode 3!) 

Sounds like an interesting concept and there's certainly high profile drivers, so we'll see what happens.

https://www.extreme-e.com/en/index

It starts in 3 days and looks like you can watch it from the website or youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmlrp3y74JN1L1o1tSdeINw

I think I'll follow it and see how it unfolds!

Steve

image.png.12d0c1da10592c4143209799d3ec9ca0.png

There maybe other TV stations that have it judging by the website!

The exposure is amazing; better then any other offroad event, there was even a shot on the BBC 10 o'clock news. The format needs to grow, but in all I think it is a great start to this series.

Daan

Yes, I was surprised at how many channels it was shown on including the news!

Apparently due to the dust the qualifying format was changed from a head to head style to a rally format where one team goes out and sets a lap before the next team and so. I think this format worked very well as the drivers could concentrate for speed and the correct line over worrying about dust and hitting another car which is what happened in the main race.

It will be interesting to see how the format unfolds for the next race in May as I thought the 'head to head' final races where a bit of a let down as once one car gets out in front the other two are in the dust!

Steve

15 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I saw some of it, the racing was nullified by the pretty poor camera work, and very little action. 

A shame, I think it may get somewhere in a few years. 

Yes, I was thinking the same! They needed a better camera angle for the first two corners as you literally couldn't anything for dust!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 11:06 AM, steve200TDi said:

Yes, I was surprised at how many channels it was shown on including the news!

Apparently due to the dust the qualifying format was changed from a head to head style to a rally format where one team goes out and sets a lap before the next team and so. I think this format worked very well as the drivers could concentrate for speed and the correct line over worrying about dust and hitting another car which is what happened in the main race.

It will be interesting to see how the format unfolds for the next race in May as I thought the 'head to head' final races where a bit of a let down as once one car gets out in front the other two are in the dust!

Steve

personally i prefer the head to head with the side by side starts,