Billing Off Road Show 2021 ( farm )

I love the Land Rover shows (I know a lot on here don't!) and went to Billing for the first time around 15 years ago I think and always loved it. I went to Kelmarsh once and was not that impressed.

I never went to the off road mini show but we did camp there the last 2 or 3 times we went to Billing and really liked it. How did it compare to the original Billing? Was a shame how Live planned the show last year to clash on purpose

3 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I love the Land Rover shows (I know a lot on here don't!) and went to Billing for the first time around 15 years ago I think and always loved it. I went to Kelmarsh once and was not that impressed.

I never went to the off road mini show but we did camp there the last 2 or 3 times we went to Billing and really liked it. How did it compare to the original Billing? Was a shame how Live planned the show last year to clash on purpose

Yeah i've been to many Billing Auqadrome landy shows over the years but the very last show i went to at billing was on the farm when Billing and the farm were in it together, was soppose to go last year at the farm show but was cancilled due to covid19 as has now been carried over to this year, from memory the farm sit was more relaxed you can have a camp fire but not to big and you can let your hair down a bit more with a mobil cafe / chippy on site, i haven't been since the farm covered the show on thier own so it will be interesting on what i find when we get there so will have to see 🙂

I'd love to go to another show - I went to every Billing Show up until about 2016 (including the very first).  I felt it had started to loose it's way a bit & started going to Peterborough instead.

I think though, this year, the risk is probably still too high.  I can wait for 2022.  Anyway, a socially distanced show, with masks would suck.

Si

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

Think they are sold out now ☹️

Indeed they are but they are saying to keep checking back as some more  might come available...no idea how I’m going to find out though! 

we’re off to the overlanding show in June...if anyone sees a bright green Landy then you’ll know it’s me 😁

1 hour ago, Badger110 said:

Indeed they are but they are saying to keep checking back as some more  might come available...no idea how I’m going to find out though! 

we’re off to the overlanding show in June...if anyone sees a bright green Landy then you’ll know it’s me 😁

Nice one 👍

On 4/8/2021 at 11:04 PM, ballcock said:

I'm looking forward to it, the club I am with had booked a stand last year so it was carried over for this year. I haven't been to the off road site before, but the previous show there was excellent I was told.

Yeah we can't wait either will start to get a few bits n bobs ready for camping there over the next couple of months one of them is a generator to run lights and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 7:24 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah we can't wait either will start to get a few bits n bobs ready for camping there over the next couple of months one of them is a generator to run lights and stuff.

Just ordered a nice bbq / fire pit, still deciding on genni, Oh and i need some chairs then we are done 👍

Edited by Cornish Rattler

1 hour ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Just ordered a nice bbq / fire pit, still deciding on genni, Oh and i need some chairs then we are done 👍

Not a fan of Generators! 

Some of the super-silenced ones are OK but my heart used to sink when someone nextdoor started up their bag-o-spanners diesel generator in the evening!

I just used an Inverter + batteries.  Most of us have a couple of tired batteries sitting around that will give enough extra, in addition to the car battery for everything you need to run.  I used to run my fridge (all important) from a solar panel + battery.  So long as the sun shined, it worked great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simonr said:

Not a fan of Generators! 

Some of the super-silenced ones are OK but my heart used to sink when someone nextdoor started up their bag-o-spanners diesel generator in the evening!

I just used an Inverter + batteries.  Most of us have a couple of tired batteries sitting around that will give enough extra, in addition to the car battery for everything you need to run.  I used to run my fridge (all important) from a solar panel + battery.  So long as the sun shined, it worked great.

Yeah we are looking at getting a petrol inverter one if we can.

These days it's hard to think what you'd really need a generator for on a campsite unless you're trying to run power tools or fire up a 50" plasma TV in your tent.

What with LED lights and efficient compressor fridges and solar panels and the like.

And yes, generators are a bane of campsites as the sound seems to manage to travel for miles across a site once the sun goes down.

• Like 3

Last time I camped at a LR show, we all got woke up at 7am with a generator running it's nuts off, which went on for over an hour - I eventually gave up hopes of a lie in and went outside to see what was so important, to find a lady in a pink robe in a neighbouring tent operating a toaster and heating hair tongs.   

• Haha 2

On 4/28/2021 at 1:49 PM, Eightpot said:

Last time I camped at a LR show, we all got woke up at 7am with a generator running it's nuts off, which went on for over an hour - I eventually gave up hopes of a lie in and went outside to see what was so important, to find a lady in a pink robe in a neighbouring tent operating a toaster and heating hair tongs.   

I believe sugar in the fuel tank helps keep generators quiet. 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Camouflage might go out the window the minute you switch it on.

Camouflage and a panel with indication lights...🤔

As John said, you can spend less on a decent solar system which is silent, clean and reliable.  Generators have their place on works sites, but not camping.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

Camouflage and a panel with indication lights...🤔

As John said, you can spend less on a decent solar system which is silent, clean and reliable.  Generators have their place on works sites, but not camping.

Yeah i know but its a farmers field with no electric hook up and anywhere else we go we have electric hook up so the genny will be used for other stuff and billing shows but if we do go ahead with the roof tent then we mite put a inverter in and make it into an overlander but will see 🙂