Signs of water on top of cylinder

Hi Folks,

Have just removed the cylinder head off our 300Tdi

Noticed some water on the top of cylinder number 3 head. Coincidently removing the injector from this cylinder was also a complete pig.

Would be interested in your thoughts. 

Thanks,

Simon...

IMG_4419.JPG

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Hoping indeed that it is perhaps residual coolant from the cylinder head dripping out upon removal.

The top of the piston and the side walls of the cylinder number 3 look no different to the others.

In any case, here's an image of the whole gasket.

Simon...

IMG_4418.JPG

Yep. Good spot on the gasket. The rear of the block does look like it may have been blowing.

With respect to gasket replacement, what's the consensus about which brand/make to replace with?

Noticed that Turners do ERR5262 (OEM Elring) as well as LVB500210 (Victor Reinz). 

Or should I simply just go Genuine LR?

Thanks,

Simon...

1 hour ago, Tim2809 said:

Either of those gasket makers are good quality. 
stay away from the multi layered steel gaskets though on a 300

Mike on the BritRest videos says they’re good for 300 but not 200 because of an oil hole.  I have one on my 200 and had no trouble, though.  I did have the same failure on my 300 out the back end as in the photo above, which shouldn’t happen on the steel laminate gasket.  A call to Turner Engineering is probably the best way to decide - what they don’t know about the engines isn’t worth knowing.

My 200 has an Elring head gasket, but it is MLS.  They do both types, I think.  The 2.8TGV was built with the MLS type, so presumably they decided the composite type was too problematic.  Given how many fail behind no.4, just like this one, that may have been the reason.  It’d be interesting to know for sure.  The 2.8 also has a different head bolt tightening sequence and spec, and that is quite likely to be because of the head gasket type, so that is worth looking up.