P38 front wheel bearing/hub .

P38 Paul

Hi peeps , I may have a problem with my N/S/F wheel bearing/hub & would like to know when ordering if the same part fits both sides or are they handed ? Also is there anything I should look out for when doing the job or is it pretty straight forward , regards Paul .   

I think the hubs are handed at the front, but not at the back.

If you're equipped with a big press then I believe the bearings can be pressed out - but this is only stuff I've read as I don't have any kind of press.

Depending on when the area was last maintained, then getting the hub out of the steering knuckle could be a bit of a pain. 

Make sure you have removed the ABS sensor (and even that can be a pain - mine broke and I had to get replacements).

Then, if you have an old brake disc to hand, you could reverse fit that back onto the hub and hit the back of it to try and separate the two. Or put a couple of the hub to knuckle bolts in from the back and whack them.

I soaked it all in plusgas/wd40 a couple of days in advance and then started work. 

Having tried the things above, and presumably had some impact, I then took a hefty punch to the hub and tried tapping it round, and eventually started gently tapping a chold chisel into the line between knuckle and hub. Once there's a bit of a gap it's easy enough. 

PS - meant to say I took my hubs out with the halfshafts attached as I didn't want to disturb the bearings/stake nut. I was pretty confident my bearings were OK, so that was one less job to do. If you're def replacing the hub and/or bearing then having the half shaft / CV joint out of the way would probably help.

Edited by Northwards
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Northwards said:

If you're equipped with a big press then I believe the bearings can be pressed out - but this is only stuff I've read as I don't have any kind of press.

Yes, but we've bent our cheapo 20T press a few times doing that. They don't come easy.

1 hour ago, Northwards said:

Or put a couple of the hub to knuckle bolts in from the back and whack them.

This works pretty well, yes.

I hope you have a big impact for the CV nut, that one can be a person I'm not that keen on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update , I got the wheel bearing changed & everything went ok but I am still suffering a bad vibration at around 30 mph through the steering wheel , this vibration started just before I changed the wheel bearing which I thought was a progression of the bearing breaking down but it wasn't , has anyone got any ideas because I am giving up with this very unreliable vehicle .

2 hours ago, P38 Paul said:

Just a quick update , I got the wheel bearing changed & everything went ok but I am still suffering a bad vibration at around 30 mph through the steering wheel , this vibration started just before I changed the wheel bearing which I thought was a progression of the bearing breaking down but it wasn't , has anyone got any ideas because I am giving up with this very unreliable vehicle .

Propshaft?

Sticky brake caliper?

I had a nasty front wobble. It began coming on ca. 50mph, but on other occasions it was apparent right down to twenty or so. Kind of by chance, I noticed that one wheel was burning hot - hot enough to melt the tyre valve cap.... On investigation I found that particular caliper slider wasn't working, brakes staying on, on one side, and causing a wobble at certain speeds.

I did take the opportunity to do all of the front ball joints and bushes, more or less a complete rebuild. No wobble now, and the front is really tight. 

Just got the back to do now!

I know it can be a pain to be permanently struggling with small things, but once you start dealing with them, on a methodical basis, then its a case of better the devil you know, than the one you don't?

+1 for a close look at the front driveshaft, ... and if poss raise and support the axle clear of the ground to free things up, I had a mysterious vibration for ages , it wasn't until I checked the prop uj's myself, (instead of taking the tyre shops word for it) that I found the problem.

1 hour ago, Simon_CSK said:

Paul

I had the front prop on my first P38 fail the day after I had it MOT'd it took out the floor pan and the gearbox so definately worth checking the UJ's even it it isn't them.

Hi Simon , Took the front prop out today & the UJs feel a little worn but I dont think it would have been enough to make all that noise , however we will see as I have ordered new ones & will post back on here with the outcome once fitted , watch this space 😔

21 hours ago, Northwards said:

Sticky brake caliper?

I had a nasty front wobble. It began coming on ca. 50mph, but on other occasions it was apparent right down to twenty or so. Kind of by chance, I noticed that one wheel was burning hot - hot enough to melt the tyre valve cap.... On investigation I found that particular caliper slider wasn't working, brakes staying on, on one side, and causing a wobble at certain speeds.

I did take the opportunity to do all of the front ball joints and bushes, more or less a complete rebuild. No wobble now, and the front is really tight. 

Just got the back to do now!

I know it can be a pain to be permanently struggling with small things, but once you start dealing with them, on a methodical basis, then its a case of better the devil you know, than the one you don't?

Hi , took both of the front brakes apart to inspect them & found everything ok , I have ordered new front prop shaft UJs to see if that sorts things out 🙄

5 hours ago, P38 Paul said:

Simon , take an apple out of the bag as your reward , you was spot on with your diagnosis about the front prop shaft , nice one all is good , up & running now as it should be .

Thanks Paul.