Recommendations for 1987 110 fuel tank.

I hope you’re all doing well. I’ve not been on in a while due to one thing or another.

So I’m looking to replace my 1987 110’s fuel tank. Doing some rust proofing and the tank popped a pin hole leak. For the time being I’ll try metal putty to repair as a temp but I’m looking to order a new tank, gaskets and sender. 

So I want a decent tank..... what’s your recommendations? 

😎

Think my current tank is a Allmakes [now Britpart] it got painted with a few  coats Galvafriod primer & then vehicle chassis black gloss on top, I found a galvanised stone guard on ebay, painted it, it chassis black, put a layer of sealant between tank & guard to keep moisture out, been OK sofar 7 years on. 

I was planning on giving it the extra, extra coats of protection but I wanted to know if there was a supplier that produced a better quality tank? 

4 hours ago, DC_ said:

. For the time being I’ll try metal putty to repair as a temp

Use plastic padding metal putty, I used this to repair a hole in my lightweights tank before i made a stainless one, lasted for years, sure there is a one for petrol / diesel regards Stephen

Edit There is its called leak fix regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

The POR15 fuel tank coating kit has a good reputation and should deal well with pin holes and porous seams.  It won’t help a structurally deficient tank, though, so whether it’s worth trying depends on the strength of what you have.

Managed to finally drain the tank without risking the actual drain plug as I fear that may have caused further problems. I’m just waiting now on JB steel putty to arrive. If it does a temp job for now great..... then new tank ordered as soon as I’m happy I’ve exhausted all options on one. 😊👍

45 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Managed to finally drain the tank without risking the actual drain plug as I fear that may have caused further problems. I’m just waiting now on JB steel putty to arrive. If it does a temp job for now great..... then new tank ordered as soon as I’m happy I’ve exhausted all options on one. 😊👍

JB Weld - better than baler twine and gaffer tape...

So the tank arrived today and hopefully the sender unit will follow tomorrow. Question, the tank that’s on My 110 2.5 na has a nut type cap on the small pipe just along from the filler pipe. The tank that came today doesn’t have the cap as in the photo . Does anyone have a part number as I’m sure I’ll need it. I’m guessing it’s a compression fitment? 

image.jpg

Thanks Ralph, yeh I knew where it should be,but It’s still just the pipe and no cap or olive or union fitting🙄

Managed to find them on John craddocks I just hope they post fast. 

Wee update..... hopefully get it all back together tomorrow if the nice postman brings the cap etc to finish it off. . 🙏 

The cradle has also been treated to a good rub down and many coats of galiv and stone chip. 

548E6ACC-BDB1-4425-A879-125C82111CEC.jpeg

98942E3D-E781-4735-9517-1503CDD99EE2.jpeg

D02D95D5-6D51-452B-BB8D-6EC461156189.jpeg

• Like 1

Done!! The cradle (genuine) didn’t like the new tank After some persuasion it went on. Wow are they all that tight to fit? 

ran it for half an hour with no sign of any problems... will test drive tomorrow. 👍

3DFE81CF-67F9-4D30-A009-9668F14ACE68.jpeg

4109FE34-2C7B-4C30-B2A4-0A17B79D7FC1.jpeg

2327BE86-A540-4BB4-B638-501615151CA1.jpeg

• Like 1

Good to see its all fitted, yes it's not a easy job putting a tank & stone guard together. At a previous tank change I used 4 cable ties to hold the guard & tank together while getting it up in place, I found them again when I did my chassis change nearly 8 years ago, still tight & fitted. 

• Like 1

Well it couldn’t be simple could it 🙄 after putting in more fuel I spotted the sender unit seal is leaking. How disappointing this is. 

So.... the locking ring with the 3 tabs on it, how far round do you twist it into place? I didn’t turn it all that much. Also, do you bend the tabs in any way to lock the ring in tighter? What a pain 😢😢