HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

On 4/18/2021 at 6:41 PM, Bowie69 said:

Feel very much for her, a great weight to carry along with the stinging loss of a 70-year dedicated and loving partnership. 

Nearer 80 years.  They married a long time after they met but it seems there was something there quite early on.

I was out of media range all weekend, so watched funeral "highlights" on UTube.  Very emotional, very fitting and that Land Rover was absolutely perfect.  Flip, you had to feel for the Queen though.  One VERY tough lady.

• Like 2

As always with deaths - I think the best thing to pull from them is the positives from the life..... and he had many of those.

Endless embrace of the duty and a huge amount of charity and work for good causes, what seemed a brilliant marriage that lasted longer than many people live in totality.  He also seemed to have lived the privileged life to the full. He basically appears to have played his hands as well as anyone could have. 

Oh and of course - he clearly had a sense of humour and a great taste in cars.

With a Land Rover those last two are perhaps essential companions ? 

So a life worth celebrating I would say.

• Like 4

Sorry gents but in this instance, I’m struggling to see why this thread needs to continue. 

in my opinion, it has become somewhat tasteless with discussing the smaller details of the Dukes’ Land Rover. 

regardless of one’s personal feelings about the royals, they have lost a husband, father and grandfather and I feel we should respect that. 

3 minutes ago, jason110 said:

regardless of one’s personal feelings about the royals, they have lost a husband, father and grandfather and I feel we should respect that. 

Please be reassured I have huge respect for the Royal family, ... and their loss, ... at the same time some of the detail is of huge interest and I like to think the Duke would be the first to understand that interest. It isn't intended in any way to be tasteless, I am sorry if that appears to be the case.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jason110 said:

Sorry gents but in this instance, I’m struggling to see why this thread needs to continue. 

in my opinion, it has become somewhat tasteless with discussing the smaller details of the Dukes’ Land Rover. 

With a group of likeminded individuals the topic doesn’t always stay on course from the opening sentence, that’s human nature to continue a conversation, it moves within the subject.  

Everyone here is respectful of the situation and the topic

Gents, 

I was just voicing my opinion. Perhaps a bit OTT. I didn’t intend to upset or such like. 

I have a great deal of respect for the community. It’s one of the very few adult places on the internet where a thread doesn’t descend to the gutter and everyone is honest and willing to help. 

jason 

Edited by jason110
Grammar

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Maybe the mods could split the thread to create one discussing Phil's custom 130 and leave the original thread for more on-topic condolences etc.?

Was thinking the same. One of us will more than likely tackle it in due course [I feel like c**p at this afternoon due to health stuff so it won't be me until I'm a little clearer headed].

12 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Was thinking the same. One of us will more than likely tackle it in due course [I feel like c**p at this afternoon due to health stuff so it won't be me until I'm a little clearer headed].

Sorry to hear that.

• Like 1