The Four Magic Words From Satan that make your wallet shrink

JeffR

A chassis swap last year turned into new: battery box, front edge of rear floor, passenger C post, repairs to both rear sills and a patch up of the drivers C post. I feel your pain. Mind the truck is nearly 40 years old so needs some loving from time to time.

Mike

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

A chassis swap last year turned into new: battery box, front edge of rear floor, passenger C post, repairs to both rear sills and a patch up of the drivers C post. I feel your pain. Mind the truck is nearly 40 years old so needs some loving from time to time.

Mike

Mine is going to do exactly the same. Chassis is on order. Five new galvanised doors are bought, repaired bulkhead is galvanised. I am just contemplating saying f'*k it and buying the whole galvanised ABC/Sill setup from YRM so basically i never have to touch bodywork again after this year. I am just putting workbenches round the far end of my workshop (about 45 ft of bench!) to start the strip down methodically so I have a rolling chassis when the new chassis arrives.

Edited by reb78
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

You want to see what those 4 effing words have cost me on the family VWs... And one of them still aint MOT worthy.

I should really get my finger out and sort the 110 out as it is needed , next year, for an extended fishing trip.  A week driving up the West coast fishing the sea lochs till we reach the top, then rinse and repeat down the East coast.  No wife, no kids, no bank manager and no clients, sheer bliss...

Edited by JeffR

Just before lockdown last year I went green-laning and had a bolt fall out of a brake calliper... so far those four words have meant that the truck still isn't back on the road and it's cost me at least a grand and a speeding ticket in the meantime :ph34r:

• Like 1

An oil leak due to faulty injector seals turned into a complete top end rebuild with a reconditioned head, new Vacumn pump, coolant pump, clutch kit and now, possibly another new VCV if the feckin thing don't start behaving!

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Just before lockdown last year I went green-laning and had a bolt fall out of a brake calliper... so far those four words have meant that the truck still isn't back on the road and it's cost me at least a grand and a speeding ticket in the meantime :ph34r:

Haha - my chassis change started with changing a rear brake line that probably didnt need changing. I changed the line and bled the brakes. A bleed nipple on the front right caliper sheared. Got it drilled out and re-tapped and refitted. Upon re-bleeding the thread on the bleed screw on the rear left brake cylinder stripped. Whilst changing the rear cylinder, I scraped some rust near the rear shock mount. That led to starting to weld on a plate, then I poked some more rust and found more and more and more.... So, a rear brake line has cost £3k so far in a chassis! 

• Haha 2

That's not far off how the original rebuild of the 109 started all those years ago - I wanted to pull the Series gearbox and fit an R380, but as soon as the engine & box came out the full horror of the chassis was revealed and it snowballed from there... perhaps the pinnacle of it was @protoprincess saying "Well you might as well bring your truck out to Russia with us" mid-rebuild :lol:

• Haha 1