Range Rover Diff 46/16?

Godber

I am about to change my existing RR diffs for a matched pair (same vehicle) and counted 46 teeth

on the crown, and 16 on the pinion. Now I'm somewhat surprised, I expected to find the usual 13 teeth

on what I thought was a 3.54:1 diff (removed from a Range Rover classic V8)

Anybody?

Ashcrofts currently show 3.50:1 as the highest non-std.  ratio available on their site with tooth count of 28/8

KAM R&P set's on Craddocks show 3.8:1 and lower although the details for this set do talk of 2.83 ratio R&P sets too but nothing listed on the site 

Steve

7 hours ago, steve b said:

I think another check of the tooth count is needed . I'm not aware this was a ratio ever supplied to any Rover/Land Rover axle? 

Welcome to the forum too 

Steve b

Thank You Steve, believe me, I have counted again and again, even used tippex to mark the first tooth I counted, it is correct :)

8 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Any stamped markings on the outside edge of the crownwheel? or end of the pinion? 

Yeah well, I should have checked that, but now they are fitted it's too late for that. Maybe I'll pull the rear diff out again and have a look, it's easy on the Series 3 axle.

It would appear you have a vehicle set of KAM high ratio R&P gears then - sorry about asking the bleeding obvious but had to check :)

I couldn't find any tooth count for this ratio on the 'net but KAM would seem to still be about , no website but contact phone no's listed if you want to find out more 

Steve

8 hours ago, steve b said:

It would appear you have a vehicle set of KAM high ratio R&P gears then - sorry about asking the bleeding obvious but had to check :)

I couldn't find any tooth count for this ratio on the 'net but KAM would seem to still be about , no website but contact phone no's listed if you want to find out more 

Steve

How interesting, I removed them myself from a rolling chassis of a Range Rover classic, expecting the obvious and never bothered to check straight away,

only during the fitting, curiosity got the better of me and I started counting.

Thank You very much for all the help!

On 4/22/2021 at 9:06 AM, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

RTC4489 is 10 splne internal gears for a early 2 pin center ?

I am pulling the rear diff out tomorrow to check if there are any markings, and I will take some photos. 

What can I say, Steve was right, another count was needed, only this time the correct pinion wheel.

Yes, my first time on this forum, and I already manage to make an Ass of myself, and successfully

wasted everyone's time.

My apologies, next time I will investigate more thoroughly, before I ring the alarm bells.

(Now I'm going to hide and let grass grow over this)