HRH’s Funeral Land Rover

Bigj66

15 hours ago, Glue said:

Isn't the wet weather version a canvas tilt over the top?

He was a pragmatist, and may have decided that rain wouldn’t make him sicker - I wouldn’t be surprised if there was no rain cover, but if there is, a rag top or open sided Ifor Williams type top doesn’t seem unlikely.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Wonder if they'd hire it out to other folks afterwards? :lol:

I'd be willing to overlook the TD5 to go in style...

Diana got a gun carriage and horses and Philips wants to be chucked on an old Landie Hmmmm.

6 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

The deeper sills serve to balance out the wheelbase so it doesn't look too thin for its length, if you take them off I bet it looks very wrong.

That's really been thought out.

I wonder if it's also a case of hiding the scruffy bits underneath?  It really is classy, as hearses go.

23 hours ago, deep said:

That's really been thought out.

Except possibly.... (being picky)..... the rear corner where the deep trims just end abruptly, I wonder if it should  have carried round in some way? Or possibly just been angled up more steeply to meet the cross member?

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:38 AM, Anderzander said:

Here’s a good picture from the back :

image.png.3976f803a0af8b43cb51d6b201720359.png

I saw a photo on a news website and it looked like the rear was raked much higher than the front almost like a standard pickup vehicle.

This photo makes the vehicle look a lot more level so I’m wondering if it had air suspension fitted.

12 hours ago, Blanco said:

Except possibly.... (being picky)..... the rear corner where the deep trims just end abruptly, I wonder if it should  have carried round in some way? Or possibly just been angled up more steeply to meet the cross member?

I'd have brought it around the back and angled it to meet the bottom of the rear cross member, personally.

The Telegraph did an article, (behind a paywall) and a bit of (mostly) silent video. I've lifted the text and the video. Door fit is a bit approximate.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/16-years-making-prince-philips-land-rover-hearse-bears-mark/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr&onwardjourney=web-4335-morestories-second_control

The old Land Rover Defender was not like other vehicles, but the 130 pick-up version, which carried the Duke of Edinburgh to St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, is an even rarer form of bird.

With its separate chassis and coil-sprung heavy-duty axles, the Duke’s four-wheel-drive hearse is capable of negotiating far tougher terrain than it met on the eight-minute journey on the Windsor Castle estate, but that was the appeal of this over-engineered vehicle to the Duke. It's all in the details.  

A royal history 

The 130 model was a special extended-wheelbase version of the standard Defender, which usually came in 90 and 110 variants (denoting the approximate wheelbase in inches). 

These sold mainly to the military and public utility markets, which use the vehicle in the most difficult of environments - often fitted with unique bodywork, cranes or hydraulic hoists after purchase, reflecting the Defender’s versatility. Many of these vehicles were sold through Land Rover’s redoubtable Special Vehicles department, which was based in Solihull.

It could be specified in a dozen different body styles including the single cab, two-seater with a full-length pick-up back, which is the configuration of this car, which came into the Royal Household in 2003.

This was a year after a major update of the Defender, which saw a number of changes to improve the comfort, as well as the final iteration of the tough 124bhp, 2.5-litre, five-cylinder Td5 turbodiesel engine.  

Military green

The Duke oversaw a number of changes to the Defender during his ownership, the first being a trip to the paint shop to change the colour from the original Belize Green to Dark Bronze Green, a shade used by older military vehicles. 

The result, mounted on original steel wheels and matching green hubs, presents the quintessence of utility, which by all accounts is just the way the Duke liked it. These were some of the custom-built specifications:

Preparation for the final journey

For its use as a hearse, the Duke supervised several vital changes to what is usually an open rear section of the pick-up bed. His coffin sat on a fabricated raised-steel tonneau cover painted green to match the rest of the vehicle.

At the sides there were rubber grips on silver metal pins known as the "stops" or "stoppers", which located the coffin and performed the crucial task of preventing it from moving around.

The cramped cab has room for one driver and one passenger, which is the sort of configuration much used by farmers and the armed forces to allow the maximum of load space. 

The low speeds of the journey should not be a problem as the Defender has a transfer box with a set of low gear ratios enabling the vehicle to crawl along with the engine barely ticking over, which allowed the family and public to pay their final respects for this much-loved military man.

• Like 3

Um, stealing copyright content from behind the paywalls of companies with the funds to sue over it* is not good for the forums' health...

* - not that you should do it to anyone who doesn't have the funds to sue either. Just that the forum is unlikely to suffer more than a request to take it down.

There is a concept of "Fair Use" with media; the video is available from YouTube, (free to distribute but not free to monetise), I've credited the source and given the full original URL. I have not passed it off as mine and I pay for my Telegraph access, so I came by it legitimately.

They will not sue. Non-commercial research and private study https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright. If they disagree with my interpretation, then it gets taken down and I cancel my Telegraph subscription, muttering darkly that the baby and the bathwater have left the building.

• Like 3