Discovery2 TD5 - U/J & Prop Shaft greasing?

boaterboy

I'm re-posting this as my earlier topic title gave no lead as to my question!

I've spotted grease nipples on the U/Js & Prop Shafts  on my vehicle.

Is greasing these items a regular maintenance job?

And, if so, what be the frequency of carrying it out and what grease should be used, please?

14 hours ago, boaterboy said:

I'm re-posting this as my earlier topic title gave no lead as to my question!

I've spotted grease nipples on the U/Js & Prop Shafts  on my vehicle.

Is greasing these items a regular maintenance job?

And, if so, what be the frequency of carrying it out and what grease should be used, please?

Depends of the vehicle, off-roading mud and floods  frequently. Street use ones a year which I do only takes 5/10 mins.

Thank you, teabag, for your advice. I've now done this and below are my findings in case they should help anyone.

Front prop shaft -

Front U/J - grease nipple already fitted but unable to grease, reluctant to apply too much pressure for fear of bursting seal(s)

Sliding joint - grub screw fitted, inserted grease nipple and able to pump in grease.

'Double' rear U/Js - no grease nipple(s) fitted or grub screw(s) to allow for fitting of grease nipple(s). So, greasing not possible.

Rear prop shaft -

Front U/J - grease nipple already fitted but unable to grease, reluctant to apply too much pressure for fear of bursting seal(s)

Sliding joint - grease nipple already fitted, able to pump in grease until seen.

Rear U/J - rubber do-nut type, therefore no greasing required.

In the end, I unscrewed the grease nipples and cleared by pumping grease through - but having refitted I still couldn't get any grease into the U/Js. Guess they must be full already. Didn't want to overdo it for fear of bursting any seals.

They can take a bit of pressure. They make a satisfying noise when the grease squeezes through. 

The double carden joint can cause issues if it fails as tends to take  the transmission out. So worth inspecting carefully. Then depending on the type of use, if off road a lot maybe change joint for some with grease nipples to allow greasing. 

Thank you for that, I'll try again pumping grease in. Presumably, one seal will 'give' before the others and having released the pressure in the u/j none of the other seals will 'leak'?

No off-road type use so hopefully double carden joint will have a long life? Vehicle currently at 120k miles. Why aren't grease nipples fitted from new, I wonder? Solely cost?

The old grease gun I have has a rigid pointed tip as opposed to the ones that "clip" over the joint. This makes it easy to push the ball in and grease. I don't see many of this design now.

Griff