Buying an old Td4, what to look out for?

simonr

Someone at work asked me this, figuring I know a bit about Land Rovers - and looked a bit crestfallen when I said I know almost nothing about Freelanders!  Less than that about Freelander 2's (though I do quite like them - so might be useful for me to know too).

What are the obvious, expensive faults to look out for.  I suspect the vehicle will have over 100k on the clock.  Also, what are the common, cheap to fix faults one might use to haggle a better price ;)

Thanks in advance,

Si

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd check it's still got the propshaft fitted and budget ~£250 for a new VCU & bearings from Bell Auto just to be safe.

He is asking about a FL2 not a FL1 - completely different beast - does not have a VCU but a Haldex unit completely different.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:58 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

I hate to do this to you but...

https://forums.lr4x4.com/search/?q=buying&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=10

:P

I'd check it's still got the propshaft fitted and budget ~£250 for a new VCU & bearings from Bell Auto just to be safe.

Thanks John - I'd already done this strangely enough.

There are several threads and almost all of them have you replying saying
"There's been tonnes of threads onbuying advice if you look back through this section of the forum. Budget ~£300 for replacing the VCU & bearings regardless."

As GarryCol noted, the Td4 is a Freelander 2 which doesn't have a VCU.  There are tons of threads but most of the replies are about Freelander 1's - so not exactly useful or helpful.

I can see I'm not going to get a useful answer - I'll just tell him I have no idea.