eh? thats odd....

Exmoor Beast

Regular viewers may remember a couple of weeks ago my gearbox jammed in reverse and ever since its been laid up awaiting attention.

I had a few spare hours this morning so I thought I would nip along and drop the gearbox out ready for a rebuild.

First job was to remove the props so I could tow it a few yards onto a surface more level and comfy to lie on. So, I chocked the wheels and undid the front prop, tapped the prop/transfer end apart gently and the 110 settled forward onto the chock. umm. right, jumped into the drivers seat and guess what? gearlever free again. odd, wonder if it will drive? start her up difflock selected, yep seems fine.

So. Why was it jammed in gear? transfer box seemed to go into neutral and the light came on and off as you moved the transfer lever across the gate but there was no way the main box would come out of reverse.

A few folk may remember that I was having the same problem years ago whilst offroad, at the time the cure was to jack a wheel up as it seemed to be transmission wind up causing it for some reason. The problem just went away before I got to the bottom of it and hasn't happened for years.

Any suggestions as to why its happened?

The only non-standard bit in the transmission is a Quaife LSD in the rear Salisbury axle..

Will :(

The only thing I can think of is that the difflock is sometimes not disengaging and the transmission is getting wound up because you are unaware of this.

Alternatively, perhaps the centre difflock has a few broken bits floating around in it and it is sometimes 'locked'/jammed even though the the difflock is not engaged.

Regards,

Diff

Wind up...... remember the N30 wind up when we had to jack your wheels up!

Yep that was the first time Rogue!

M005 has it etched on his brain he had to climb through the float soiled nappies in the back to attach the rope!

Me%20stuck.jpg

I just sat there with a wet bum :)

Good day that...

Will

Guest dew110CSW

I had a similiar problem with the 110 a while ago, while reversing it would judder as if the diff locks were on (or teeth off the gear). We had a good fiddle around with the transfer box (High/Low, Locks ect..) and that seemed to cure it, so we presume it was just lack of use causing it.

That doesn't really help you, sorry. Just me waffling again.

Yep that was the first time Rogue!

M005 has it etched on his brain he had to climb through the float soiled nappies in the back to attach the rope!

Me%20stuck.jpg

I just sat there with a wet bum :)

Good day that...

Will

Certainly was a good day, picture taken moments before a 'Darwin Award Candidate' warden turned up and parked on a winch wire..... :blink: