dash warning lights

1991 110 CSW with 300 tdi engine

I'm sorting my electrics and am currently analysing the dash warning light panel.  I've found that a couple of the bulb holders don't have a bulb, and there's a coupe that have dud bulbs.  My problem is that I cannot remove a dud bulb from a bulb-holder.  Holding the bulb holder, I can twist the bulb, but no movement, I can pull the bulb, but no movement.  How do I remove the bulb from the bulb holder without giving myself a significant fractured glass bulb wound?

Mike

The ones that mount into the board, like the brake warning lamp, are moulded and don’t separate.

Have a look on eBay and you will see them. I can’t remember the reference number.

There will be some missing as the specific warning isn’t used, such as transmission oil high temperature. 

Sorry, maybe my memory is fading because I think that they are these push-in wedge type - RTC3635. Perhaps I've never had to replace one and only unscrewed the complete holder. They should just pull out.

Look at LR Workshop link for this diagram... (hope it's OK to post this)

image.thumb.png.9f10ebae8c1c7302c3e8f7a29976dc99.png

and from there a direct link to...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164187837954?hash=item263a5b9602:g:7esAAOSwku9esolI

Photo is from the Trek Overland item on eBay...

image.png.4b826c9e4fa790426f905a20b3acb688.png

Thanks for your replies, Peaklander.  My LR parts manual shows the bulb as RTC3635 and the holder as AEU2722, 13 of each required.  That they are listed as separate items suggests to me that they should be separable, and they are listed as separate items on various web sites.  

I note that the ebay seller is one of the most expensive I've come across.  On Brit-car, for example, the prices vary from £0.18 each to £1.95 for a pack of 10.  Even a genuine LR item is only £1.95 each.  Beware of ebay, it is frequently far from the cheapest!

So, how do I avoid a visit to ER for finger surgery?

Mike

2 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

So, how do I avoid a visit to ER for finger surgery?

just ask somebody else to pull the bulb's from the holder's 😇

(there not that tight , a slight wiggle will get them out)

3 hours ago, western said:

Pretty sure you can get these dash lights as a complete bulb/holder unit 

That’s what I was thinking too when I replied originally but didn’t look for them. I’m sure that they are available as one piece. 

• Like 1

Hallelujah!  Bulbs removed, and no finger surgery required.  Achieved by holding the bulb holder in my bench vise, gently but firmly.  I then used a small flat blade screwdriver between the base of the bulb and the bulb holder, and twisted the screwdriver while pulling on the bulb.  Hey presto - out it came.

I'll now order bulbs and bulb holders as required, since the bulb holders are over £3.00 each.

Mike

• Like 1