Bolt supplier for M7 e-torx head

HoSS

I need to fix my modified inlet manifold to the OM606, and the space is very limited.

I cant use the standard MB torx bolts as theres no room to drive from above, and i can't use hex head as theres no diameter to get a spanner on.

So have have come to the conclusion i need e-torx head. But trying to find that in M7 is like rocking horse poo (except in titanium which costs 10 quid each)

image.jpeg.7f14f2f62d0bf0ae427dd73e1c9518b2.jpeg

Any ideas on suppliers?

No theres only about 20mm above the bolt, so no room for a key or socket, it needs something thats done up with a ring spanner, But not enough diameter to get a 9mm ring spanner on between the leaders. Its very tight.

Has to be 12-point or e-torx.

7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

20mm would be plenty for a shortened hex key?

Considered that - but before the (25mm) bolt is driven in, theres virtually nothing, and with slight misalingnment/fricton its not easy to wind them in by fingers. 

The MB bolts i have are Torx and you cant shorten a Torx key.

Will be far easier to use e-torx or 12-point, they are out there just a question of cost/lead time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoSS said:

The MB bolts i have are Torx and you cant shorten a Torx key.

Spoken like a man without a welder :ph34r:

I have one of these, which might make it low profile enough:

Wera Bit-assortiment, Tool-Check PLUS, 39-delig, 05056490001: Amazon.nl

The bit goes directly into the ratchet, really allows you to get into tight spaces.

Yes i bought that Wera 1/4" hex ratchet last week, its still too tall to work.

Thanks for all of the ideas, but it will be far easier with e-torx or 12-point, since they do exist what i need is supplier suggestions.

Racebolt have them (as above link from landroversforever) but only 8 in stock at the moment. Will back order or from US ebay supplier i found,

Feels to me that this is a situation where a stud is more suitable, then you can find nuts more easily:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M7-Twelve-Sided-HEX-FLANGE-NUTS-10-ST-Chromed-Rims-Screw-/184642991298?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Alternatively, drill out and shove an M8 tap down it, and then the bolt or stud world is your oyster. 

How about a better full shank Torx bit with an open ended 1/4 inch spanner

I've use this before for tight spots

20210503_182041.thumb.jpg.ff4b023278393783268426267dcc2c68.jpg

This needs about 10mm of clearance to use as you can cut off the unneeded shank.

3 hours ago, steve b said:

From the above pic , why not chop the driver bit at the lower edge of the yellow band and use a ratchet ring spanner on the remaining hex ?

Steve  

Considered that, but there are a few places where the diameter of the rachet end is too big, and again there still too little height before the bolt is driven.

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Feels to me that this is a situation where a stud is more suitable, then you can find nuts more easily:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M7-Twelve-Sided-HEX-FLANGE-NUTS-10-ST-Chromed-Rims-Screw-/184642991298?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Alternatively, drill out and shove an M8 tap down it, and then the bolt or stud world is your oyster. 

Yeah thats a possible, will look into it. Problem i suspect is that M7 nuts will be 9mm and the 9mm ring still too big dia to get between some of the leaders, hence why i wanted reduced head.

1 hour ago, zardos said:

How about a better full shank Torx bit with an open ended 1/4 inch spanner

I've use this before for tight spots

20210503_182041.thumb.jpg.ff4b023278393783268426267dcc2c68.jpg

This needs about 10mm of clearance to use as you can cut off the unneeded shank.

Considered that, but the though of winding down 14 bolts 15 deg at a time with the bit constantly falling out didnt fill me with much enthusiasm. Plus open-ended too big dia.

Could weld on into a 1/4" ring though.

Thanks will investigate your ideas Zardos & Bowie

As a thought, just seen m7 bolts are a common fitment on BBS split rims , might be worth looking in that direction, 

Main thing is for the love of baby Jesus, say no to stainless 

#chromewontgetyouhome

#saynotostainless

7 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

As a thought, just seen m7 bolts are a common fitment on BBS split rims , might be worth looking in that direction, 

Yeah thats what i found in that link above, split rim bolts. Problem is i dont want stainless in the alu head, which leaves titanium at 10Eur a piece, and for some reason not widespread in europe.

18 hours ago, HoSS said:

Picture/1000words... You can maybe see what i mean, no way to drive from above.

space.jpg

A picture definitely helps.

A very similar access issue can be found with a couple of the screws that secure the older type Rover V8 oil pump housing. That uses 1/4" UNC reduced head 12 pt screws. There is just about enough room to get in with a 5/16" ring spanner.