'93 V8 auto - not starting

JD OK

Hi All,

I'm struggling to get my Discovery 1 started. So, battery is good, engine turning over well but no attempt to fire up. I have put a meter on the coil & it read .011

So, I ran a 12v supply cable from a relay in the cabin to the coil & it read 12.4 ish - thinking I would now start her up, it's the same, turns & turns but no attempt to fire up.

I removed one plug, it had a decent spark. Removed all the plugs & cleaned them up. 

On turning the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds. So, not sure what to do now....starter motor? If so, how do I test it?

Thanks, JD 

If it's turning over it's not the starter motor.

If it fires on easy-start it's fuel, if not it's ignition.

The ECU won't inject any fuel unless it can "see" airflow (flapper flap actuates a relay / not sure about hotwire systems), and it also needs to see the coil pulses on the white/black TACH wire from coil -ve or it will just do nothing.

There's a full step-by-step EFI diagnostics in the technical archive section (check the index post), also ignition amplifiers like to die for a pastime.

I've got a tin of easy start, tried it, no difference. Taken a couple of plugs out, tried them on the engine block, both have good sparks. The plugs were wet, I can smell
the easy start, that high octane fuel. I've checked the wire terminals on the coil, improved one of them & now have 12.3 on the meter without needing to run another 12v feed...so that's good. 
I'm reading the haynes manual, chapter 5b.2 ignition system testing, about the amplifier that is next to the coil & it says "coil negative terminal ( wire to amplifier module ). Is this correct because the wire from my amplifier goes to the positive side of the coil...which is right please?

The amplifier is on side of the dizzy at that age, but if you have spark at the right time (messed with the leads/dizzy recently?) and easy start it should fire. 

Unless you have a mechanical problem, but I assume you have checked for big holes in the block by now ;)

• Like 1