Insurance for new or nearly new cars

I need to renew the insurance on the 110, which is approaching five months old. Having never had a new car before, or indeed anything that I wouldn’t just repair myself, the issue of which parts an insurer may choose to use has never been relevant. I have learned the hard way however that the vast majority of insurers have a clause in their policy that allows them to use non-original parts for any repairs. This is an issue while the car is under warranty as if I were to have any future issue with a part that had been replaced with a non-original version LR would quite rightly refuse to honour it as I’ve not used the proper bits to repair it. 

All the ones I’ve found policy booklets for so far have the same standard get-out clause that they may use non-original parts of ‘similar quality’ (yeah...right!). Can anyone recommend an insurer that will guarantee to use genuine parts for repairs at least for the first three years of a cars life?

So far the only one I’ve found is Land Rover themselves* - £300 dearer than who I’m with now but I can handle that for a few years if it’s my only option as it will no longer be a problem once out of warranty.

* Interestingly despite the big claim on their website front page about using genuine parts their underwriters policy still has the same get-out clause in :rolleyes:

Surely if there were any issues with items that were replaced following an accident, then it would be for LR and the insurer to sort out between themselves? I agree it wouldn't be a very nice situation to be stuck in the middle of the two arguing though...

Regardless of the clause in the contract they are obliged to have the car repaired by your designated repair shop at least that was the case a few years ago. Because it is your car you have a veto on the repairer and if that is the case then just get quotes for repair from whoever will supply genuine parts. The only issue with that is the insurance will not give you a courtecy car if they have lost control of the repair.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

So far the only one I’ve found is Land Rover themselves* - £300 dearer than who I’m with now but I can handle that for a few years if it’s my only option as it will no longer be a problem once out of warranty.

* Interestingly despite the big claim on their website front page about using genuine parts their underwriters policy still has the same get-out clause in :rolleyes:

Most insurers use policy terms written by the same organisation, so the clauses are often identical. For a new vehicle, insisting on the main dealer is a well travelled path, as is insisting that the corrosion guarantees are honoured, so the clause is not as damaging as you might otherwise think. Ask the question of the provider/broker and keep the answers in writing, (or details of who and when you were told, as almost all calls are recorded these days).

Another vote for NFU who are good if they are on your side, but absolute Rottweilers if they are insuring the other party and claiming on your insurance...

Admiral were really good with our daughter when her ambition outweighed  her ability on a wet country road (as if that would ever happen to a 19 year old...) and their multi-car policy is well worth considering if you have a number of cars and/or your household insurance to cover.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:43 PM, Simon_CSK said:

But did you know that many dealers don't do the body work in house. 

Yes; they'll have access to an authorised body shop, who contractually will use genuine parts and restore the corrosion coatings, (or at least will have insurances to cover their failings if it comes to light while it is still actionable )

Thanks all, I’ll need to speak with some more companies and see what their approaches are.

I’m less worried about general accident damage repairs as I’ll just insist it goes to the dealer for repair as is my right, it’s the windscreen cover that is a bigger issue. But looking at the cost of the LR insurance (who are the only ones to put in writing that they’ll use genuine parts) I would be reasonably safe going for the cheaper options and then just paying the difference in screen cost if I do break another one. 

I looked at LV as I get a discount from them, they may be an option as they allow you to pick your own windscreen repairer if you pay a bigger excess. 

On 5/7/2021 at 3:15 PM, darthdicky said:

Surely if there were any issues with items that were replaced following an accident, then it would be for LR and the insurer to sort out between themselves? I agree it wouldn't be a very nice situation to be stuck in the middle of the two arguing though...

If you sign on the line of the policy, they can apply that detail.  Then you have agreed to voiding the warranty.  So, cheaper insurance for LR, a voided warranty, and all because the customer agreed to it.  Underhand, yes, but not illegal or deceptive, so it’s a double win for LR.  It’s a disgraceful tactic, though.  Still, it just goes to reinforce what some of us are saying about the company.  I wonder if other premium brands do the same; I suspect there is a mixed bag.