What vehicle next?

Saw an H1 up for sale somewhere recently, imported from California with the 6.5 GMC V8 and not a ridiculous amount of money. Might have been somewhere on Facebook.

18 minutes ago, reb78 said:

What about a range rover classic? There are some lovely ones out there fetching good money now. 

RR Classic would not be a go-er for day to day use, not for me anyway.  Last one I had was a late soft dash that wasn't very old, it was lovely but having one now would be so far removed from having a new or nearly new model it just wouldn't feel right.

I'm sorry, I know I'm difficult to please 😔 

7 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

No black one.

Ah, nice looking car if its the one on FFRR. Its vehicles for sale like that that stimulated my 'what mileage' thread. 

Just now, Happyoldgit said:

RR Classic would not be a go-er for day to day use, not for me anyway.  Last one I had was a late soft dash that wasn't very old, it was lovely but having one now would be so far removed from having a new or nearly new model it just wouldn't feel right.

Haha. No worries. I am going backwards and probably going to start buying older vehicles. The new stuff doesnt do it for me. 

I nearly bought a softdash 300tdi about 15 years ago. Wish I had as they are going for a lot more now!

16 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Cherokee or Shogun ? 

I had a Shogun years ago, good motor but at the time anything other than servicing bits were silly money and often on back order. Them or me having to wait for bits to arrive from the east tainted the experience a it. Funnily enough the Isuzu I had was a different kettle of fish in terms of parts availability.

1 minute ago, reb78 said:

Haha. No worries. I am going backwards and probably going to start buying older vehicles. The new stuff doesnt do it for me. 

I nearly bought a softdash 300tdi about 15 years ago. Wish I had as they are going for a lot more now!

Yes they are but unless they have been properly looked after / restored / protected they will still rot like they always have. I know what you mean though, my last 2.2 110 CSW would have gained quite a bit in value since I parted with it. But how many times does a dealer need a £30k+ vehicle back to investigate and rectify a transmission clunk - lots of times it seems and all the while refusing to listen to the customer's input. They simply cannot get their heads around the fact that a customer might actually know a bit about the mechanics of the vehicle. Then when they start getting arsey about courtesy vehicles it's time to give up on the arrogant SOB's.

Grrrrr.

Land Cruiser if we are going Jap. Range Rover comfort at a lower price. I was out in Mongolia of all places a few years back and anyone who was anyone drove a land cruiser imported from Japan. Those things just floated along and given there is a road north to south and east to west and thats about it for tarmac, they spent a LOT of time properly off road. 

12 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

RRC is only 2500Kg towing capacity, from what I remember... Another reason ;)

I've definitely told this story before but a few years back when I was off-roading in France and was with a bunch of Toyota and Nissan nuts (they also liked LRs but they're extortionate in France). I posed them the question - money no object, you had to walk into a dealership, buy a vehicle and drive through Africa what would you choose (these were people who would jump in their vehicles and go to Morocco for the weekend or week)? Unequivocabbly the response was either a Disco 4 or Range Rover, they said the Jap stuff isn't what it used to be in the 90s. The LRs would throw a fault more often but it would usually result in a limp mode but carry on going, the Jap stuff may or may not break down but if it did you were stuffed.

Incidentally on this trip we had a 200Tdi 90, 300Tdi 110, 2.5 P38 and a 2002 Land Cruiser in amongst all the Frenchies. The 200Tdi needed the clutch bleeding in the middle of a forest, the 300Tdi and P38 were faultless and the Land Cruiser got left at a main dealer in Mont Lucon who couldn't find the fault with why the brakes had completely failed (turned out the ABS pump had failed which resulted in no brakes at all). It was eventually brought back to the UK 2 months later.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

They're 3500kg like everything else Disco/Defender?

*Scratches head* my 91 vogue se had 2500kg in the handbook, I swear it did... 

This is the thing, I'm looking around going meh, meh, meh, nah, meh, hmmm, then I see a smartly presented hardtop Wolf 90 refinished in a solid colour and it's an instant oooh! Sad and off the wall for me now - would have been ok for me 20+ years back but not now. 

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

*Scratches head* my 91 vogue se had 2500kg in the handbook, I swear it did... 

I'm pretty sure until the "new" baby vehicles like the Freelander came out then everything in JLRs stable had at least* 3.5t capability. A lot of the newer baby stuff like the Disco Sports, Velars, Ewoks etc,. are <= 2t.

* - odd exception like my 6x6 which was 4t.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I'm pretty sure until the "new" baby vehicles like the Freelander came out then everything in JLRs stable had at least* 3.5t capability. A lot of the newer baby stuff like the Disco Sports, Velars, Ewoks etc,. are <= 2t.

* - odd exception like my 6x6 which was 4t.

Certainly all the RRC's I have had and still have had a towing capacity of 3.5t. As far as I am aware only the Freelanders, Disco Sports and Velar are the only JLR vehicles that are less. 

I currently have D3's and RR Sports and a couple of FFRR's and the classic. They all have 3.5t capacity.