What vehicle next?

1 minute ago, Simon_CSK said:

Certainly all the RRC's I have had and still have had a towing capacity of 3.5t. As far as I am aware only the Freelanders, Disco Sports and Velar are the only JLR vehicles that atre less. 

I currently have D3's and RR Sports and a couple of FFRR's and the classic. They all have 3.5t capacity.

And Ewoks but they're basically the baby stuff as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Why don’t you have a word with Kingsley and other RRC refurbishers?  They do some amazing full rebuilds, but at a price.  Maybe a compromise of a well tidied up but not fully rebuilt and resto-modded RRC would work, with all the mechanicals overhauled, the underside treated but not stripped and galvanised, no major costs of modifications, and a good clean and replacement of worn internal trim so it is like new where it matters without the full strip down?  I imagine the 3.5t limit is the unpowered trailer brake restriction, which would apply to any other, bigger vehicle too.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 9:15 PM, Happyoldgit said:

Nah, only 2500kg max towing capacity [my facelift Ranger is 3500kg] and more car oriented. I don't think I can get fleet discount on one either. Just not "me" if you see what I mean? 

Completely, I could never own one. I think they're aimed at a very specific type of person (expect to see vinyl signwriting for a kickboxing gym on the rear of every single one) but the thought of a fast pickup does entertain me.

The Japanese stuff, particularly Mitsubishi, isn't what it used to be (just google L200 headgaskets) and Nissans have a glorious habit of breaking in half after a certain year but they would work if that's all you want.

There's the Mercedes Navara... sorry, "X Class"... (see snapping-in-half comment) which I thought was discontinued but saw a 20 plate one yesterday, so must still be going. A different image and probably nice inside but crazy markup on what is an economy platform and that image is not good. At all.

If it was me, I'd have a think about a VW Amarok as they don't quite have the image of the average pickup, will be very solidly average in all ways like every VAG offering though you will pay for the VW badge for no apparent reason.

I realise this doesn't really help but I like ragging on pickups so... Volvo XC70. If only Volvo did a pickup, I'd suggest that.

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:52 PM, landroversforever said:

Nothing a grinder can't fix :D

Ooh... build thread!

Although I'm not sure it meets Steve's "don't need to muck around with it" brief...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Ooh... build thread!

Although I'm not sure it meets Steve's "don't need to muck around with it" 

Noooooooooo! He hasn't finished the last one yet !

Mo

Thanks chaps, I really do appreciate the input. A few, but by no means comprehensive, thoughts...

No sorry, I can't see me living with a RRC for day to day use, not for me, not now. To do so would be like travelling back well over twenty years ago to when I last owned one and my rural neighbours would start asking if I had hit upon hard times as to them it would just be an old motor - none would appreciate how much a good one is worth now.

So let's stick to new / newish otherwise my eccentric and eclectic tastes will see me trundling about in a Riley RMA / RMC or perhaps a Bentley and a Series LR something or other for the local mucky stuff. 

Navara - My understanding is that those subject to potential chassis issues were the old D40's of 2005 - 2015 vintage, I've not heard of issues in that respect with the later models. Possibly.

VW Amarok - I get mixed messages about these, some love them while others don't. I thought I read production been discontinued so will investigate. I have to say I prefer the looks of the Ranger though.

D Max - maybe. The take it or leave it attitude of the staff at the local dealerships didn't inspire last time I was looking.

Grenadier - Has potential  ...but when?

Another Ranger? Perhaps but engines are smaller twin turbo affairs now and potential niggly Ad Blue sensor issues would drive me nuts. BUT unlike JLR now, Ford dealerships are everywhere and out of most of them seem to value you walking through the door most. Also pretty amenable to doing a deal.

Mitsu L200- No, fugly.

Hilux. -Hmmm. Not sure. Not sure why I'm not sure either...

G Wagon - No thanks.

New Defender - Again no thanks. See my comments regarding past experience with JLR dealerships.

Not much left is there. Difficult to please - moi?  I did catch myself idly browsing Witham's and such looking at Defender Wolf's / Wolves etc [not that they have much now] but that would be stepping back too. Vehicles are so boring now or maybe I've just scratched all the itches and pretty much emptied my bucket list over the years <sigh>.

46 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

my rural neighbours would start asking if I had hit upon hard times as to them it would just be an old motor - none would appreciate how much a good one is worth now.

Shame this is a reason - who cares what they think?!?! I drive what appear to be a bunch of old motors and some seem to think I must be poor because of it... I own all of my vehicles unlike them.... BUT... I understand your other reasons.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Shame this is a reason - who cares what they think?!?! I drive what appear to be a bunch of old motors and some seem to think I must be poor because of it... I own all of my vehicles unlike them.... BUT... I understand your other reasons.

I knew that would get picked up on. I have my reasons so let's leave it at that - please.

Just now, Ed Poore said:

Must be a new vehicle?

You also missed the L322 off your list.

Well, I'm not perfect and the chemo may still be affecting the old memory cells but a late RR could be in the running yes. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

Dare I say test drive one and you won't (or probably would) regret it. Both of mine were 100k plus but did my research so first one was fairly trouble free (only one unexpected issue). We'll see on this one.

Initial impressions are that the 4.4 is a damn sight quicker and more wafty than the 3.6 I had.

IMG_20210511_204610_833.thumb.jpg.d087820052c1aada3e529a2a9e98ebca.jpg

4 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Well, I'm not perfect and the chemo may still be affecting the old memory cells but a late RR could be in the running yes. Thanks for the reminder.

The L405's are much better value now than they were. Keep getting tempted to change my late L322 for one but with the lockdowns I have not used it much in the last year and can't quite bring myself to spend the money.

In my opinion nothing tows as well as a Range Rover

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

Substance, as in one you drove a lot, owned a while, daily drove or something....

Sounds like an unscratched itch 😛 

You could be right. Like it's predecessors the one I own at the moment [1943 MB] never fails to raise a smile every time I take it out - but it's not a viable option for every day use although I imagine some here would probably say otherwise - as I may have done 40 years ago.

680555692_IMG_20191031_140207472C.jpg.d158538d30a1d3fef00b6a0bf1ddb7fc.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ed Poore said:

Dare I say test drive one and you won't (or probably would) regret it. Both of mine were 100k plus but did my research so first one was fairly trouble free (only one unexpected issue). We'll see on this one.

Initial impressions are that the 4.4 is a damn sight quicker and more wafty than the 3.6 I had.

IMG_20210511_204610_833.thumb.jpg.d087820052c1aada3e529a2a9e98ebca.jpg

Without derailing this thread.....I drive a 3.6 and a 4.4 TDV8 both of the facelifted type like yours back to back frequently. The 4.4 is quicker if pushed hard but in day to day use you really don't notice it.

What you do notice is the difference the 8 vs 6 speed box has between the two, this means the 4.4 never really revs very high which in turn equates to 5mpg more in all the scenarios I have compared them back to back.

1 minute ago, L19MUD said:

Without derailing this thread.....I drive a 3.6 and a 4.4 TDV8 both of the facelifted type like yours back to back frequently. The 4.4 is quicker if pushed hard but in day to day use you really don't notice it.

What you do notice is the difference the 8 vs 6 speed box has between the two, this means the 4.4 never really revs very high which in turn equates to 5mpg more in all the scenarios I have compared them back to back.

What sort of MPG do you get out of the 4.4?

Just now, landroversforever said:

What sort of MPG do you get out of the 4.4?

Averages 28 on country roads, little bit of town and little bit of dual carriageway.

Suffolk to yorkshire trip sticking at 70 has seen 36 before!!

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:40 PM, Happyoldgit said:

. I wouldn't say no to a late-ish Range Rover but would never buy new, 

I'm hurtling arond in a 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography L405 and it is the best thing I have ever driven. I drove a mates Supercharged and it was noticably quicker, I'd say too quick in fact!. Anyway he had it stolen and after driving ours he bought the same as we have. Indecently quick for a big diesel motor, comfy beyond just about anything and I actually got 42mpg out of it last week. Did I mention the sound system? It rearranges your internal organs, fantastic.

Depreciation is catastrophic new, ours is full sevice history, over serviced in fact, it had done 37,000miles when we got it and like for like today is £133k, it lost £100k in 37k miles!

I know it will cost us a fortune at some stage, but what the hell, 'One Life' and all that. They say every journey in a L405 is too short, I'd agree.

Will 🙂

• Like 3