defender 200tdi ignition switch workings

Hi all need some advice on an ignition switch problem on my standard 1993 defender 200tdi

Long story but my ignition switch has been playing up for quite a few months sometimes getting the key stuck and not being able to turn it  but also on other occasions turning to on and no power at all with only my clock and cigarette lighter still working
Have previously changed the ignition barrel and switch assembly 2 or 3 years ago and thought i had solved the problems
The ignition barrel assembly has stamped the origional markings arount the key barrel bezel which states: o) i)  ii) iii)  this i presume would be;

o) OFF and can take the key out where on the  steering lock is engaged

i)  ignition is on for things like radio if fitted and cigarette lighter if fitted(nothing fitted on mine -....not sure if fuel cutoff solenoid would come on here or next position?
ii) glow plugs engaged via  glow plug timer relay
iii)should be able to turn key on a spring mechanism(??) to engage starter and once started you release and key goes back to position ii) with engine running.

i need to know is this spring return part of: The back switch assembly....... OR..... part or the ignition barrel arrangement
I have two complete switches with both whole ignition barrels working the same or maybe both broken as neither spring back with the rear  switch removed ?

Has anyone tried replacing the ignition barrel in the ignition lock assembly and is it easy or even possible any suggestion please
i may need to also ask later about the wiring from this ignition but that can wait as need to order either a new switch and /or barrel with lock assembly

The clock and 12v outlet are supplied by permanent live connections so are independent of the ignition switch. 

You can buy either just the switch or just the steering lock. 

The switch has an off position, on where all is live and the glowplug part to energise the relay and the critical stuff like the stop solenoid. Then the start position. 

Its a character building job to replace the switch there are a couple of small cross head screws one of which is restricted by lower dash from memory.  The back switch has all the detent and spring loading the key part allows barrel to turn and the steering lock to operate from memory.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:08 PM, justustwo said:

i need to know is this spring return part of: The back switch assembly....... OR..... part or the ignition barrel arrangement
 ?

Has anyone tried replacing the ignition barrel in the ignition lock assembly and is it easy or even possible any suggestion please

I can now confirm that the return spring effect on the 3rd key position IS in the rear switch and NOT the lock assembly