Seat Organisers/Covers

Good day All,

I have a really noddy question but as I refuse to take part in some of the more.... aesthetically-focussed forums, hopefully people here have experience. I want a seat organiser, I am primarily looking at one for the passenger seat but if they come in pairs then I'm sure I'll find a use.

My main reason is that I will have two or three things I will always be carrying; an X-Defend gearstick lock, a steering wheel lock and a fire extinguisher and I want to properly secure them in case of the worst happening. I am mostly trying to secure the X-Defend as it might not be realistic for a seat organiser to hold a disklock or a fire extinguisher and I can find alternatives (quick fists, load bay tie-downs) for those.

I like the look of this one by Inka (who make genuine seat covers) and the pouches seem to be a good size for a X-Defend but they don't appear to have clasps (I assume magnetic closing) and I could do without the HUE logo but that's being fussy. I'm just not confident in placing a big, heavy bit of metal in these and there is no scope for any additional items.

s-l1600.jpg

Available Here

So with this elegant, classical look in mind, I've been searching for something a bit more secure. Unfortunately this results in something like this by Terrafirma:

Image 1 - TERRAFIRMA TACTICAL UNIVERSAL SEAT COVER. PART - TF1200

Available Here

Or this:

Image 1 - KRYDEX Tactical Car Rear Seat Organizer Rigid Panel Vehicle Back Seat 23 x 14 in

Available here

These are relatively expensive for what they are, especially the latter as it comes with no pouches but because of that, do give a lot of flexibility in how you can configure them. However, as I am not looking to overthrow a democratically elected government any time soon, I don't need to strap down my AR15 in this (frankly irresponsible) way. MOLLE pouches are great if you need them but  I would prefer something a bit more in keeping with the non-military look I'm going for.

So, what is there in a similar theme but alternatives to the above? If MOLLE is the way to go then so be it, I just want to see what else is around.

• Haha 1

Love the "tacti-cool" gear, definitely a certain type of person who has that stuff all over their truck :ph34r:

Personally I'd say a seat cover doesn't feel like the place to be storing large heavy lumps of metal like a fire extinguisher... either that or your fire extinguisher is too damn small to be worth bothering with.

• Like 2

I think you're right and I'll look at strapping it down another way (I have a 2kg powder extinguisher). I did want to mount it on the rear door so furthest away from any point of ignition but there's nowhere solid enough to secure it through the door card.

Still interested in anyone has experience with any kind of seat organiser and if they are worth bothering with, though.

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

Still interested in anyone has experience with any kind of seat organiser and if they are worth bothering with, though.

Have you looked through Military Mart? I've linked to Bags & Holdalls, but I seem to recall they have a wide range of 'stuff' that might be adapted to fulfill your need. Some of the prices seem to give good starting points for experimenting.

I've looked, but never bought, yet.

I seem to recall there is another place that will either make from scratch or adapt / personalise with a name or description you create, but I don't recall ... inspiration struck, details in a topic in the Series 2 Club Forum are now out of date.
Matt, Guy Ropenall and Counter Rivet are all alter egos of the same person.

Having looked a little harder, his website is rubbish, you will be best advised to contact him via an eBay ad and strike up a direct conversation.
You will have to decide what you want before anyone can make / adapt it for you.

Regards.

• Like 1

That's actually a good point, I don't have anything besides a basic tool roll planned for there so will have plenty of room.

Even so, I can see benefit in tripling the available storage in a Defender with one of these rear covers, especially as I plan on using the car for camping.

The extinguisher could also mount on the front of the seat box in the drivers footwell.

Mine is mounted on the load space bulkhead (which I suspect you don't have) along with wheel wrench, locking wheel nut key and X-Eng half shaft tool using quick fists.

HTH

Mo

• Like 1

All good ideas - is the tunnel metal or plastic in yours, Jeremy?

Someone wanted extra leg room Mo, so the bulkhead and it's useful mountings is gone but I can use the bulkhead replacement bar to mount quick fists using some substantial cable ties.

I can't fit it to the driver's side seatbox as the X-End pedal lock flips down, might be able to go into the passenger side but my monster battery cut off switch is likely going to get in the way - I'll take a look later.

Passenger side tunnel sounds good but will need some hefty washers as it's plastic - albeit thick. Like me.

What have people got for actually mounting it? As Mr. Landroversforever says, there's a vast array but not sure what to go for.

Just now, landroversforever said:

I think quick fists are probably the most universal of mountings for one. A lot of the smaller extinguishers have mounts which look like they'd let it out if you put the car on it's side. 

Exactly my concern.

I mounted a breaker bar to my back door with 3x quick fists and off-road it managed to escape by bursting the clips, I'm quite wary of mounting any heavy lumps of metal in anything less than 100% solid now as I really don't want to be hit in the back of the head by it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

All good ideas - is the tunnel metal or plastic in yours, Jeremy?

Metal, it's old, 1989. I think the bolts are 2BA brass ones on penny washers, (as I keep a load for the Morgan wings).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I mounted a breaker bar to my back door with 3x quick fists and off-road it managed to escape by bursting the clips, I'm quite wary of mounting any heavy lumps of metal in anything less than 100% solid now as I really don't want to be hit in the back of the head by it.

The only way I can see to do it (on a later style door, anyway) would be to extend the six bolts through the door card from the spare wheel mounting, otherwise you're still reliant on those trim clips. I'm not doing that, so you've confirmed that as a no-go.

I've had a look at it tonight and the best place is behind the cubby box on the bulkhead replacement bar.

My Halon extinguisher is mounted with large Quikfists to the back of my cubby box (bulkhead deleted), along with a large Maglite in medium fists.  You could attach a steel mesh to the seat backs with decent P-clips and bolts through the seat frame to have secure mountings for the security devices, cheaper and sturdier than the offerings above.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, ThreePointFive said:

I can use the bulkhead replacement bar to mount quick fists using some substantial cable ties.

I can't fit it to the driver's side seatbox as the X-End pedal lock flips down, might be able to go into the passenger side but my monster battery cut off switch is likely going to get in the way - I'll take a look later.

You can use the small quick fists back to back with the larger ones, which may give a better grip on the bulkhead bar than cable ties?

Mine is in the passenger footwell with the battery and winch cutouts above it, will try to remember to get a pic later

Richard

That's a great idea Dicky, I was looking at them yesterday and the mounting wouldn't have been right with cable ties. I even have a pair of medium ones that will do the job perfectly, just need to buy the large ones.

I've got some nylon webbing strap that I'm going to use to secure a disklok to the rear of the cubby, thanks for the inspiration Mr Snagger.

I will still end up buying a seat organiser just for all the stuff I'll carry when using the car, but not at all for the purposes I originally started this thread.

• Like 1

Not solved the core question but I have a proof of concept for the fire extinguisher idea. £15 gets you one of these, which fits like this:

PXL_20210523_143328298.jpg.b878400a78e7cebf382619035ab4ec0c.jpg

PXL_20210523_143342026.jpg.4d0fefa0d9a68cd7c3a6244d96386307.jpg

I am not comfortable to have a 5kg lump of metal strapped to a piece of plastic, supported by two slots in plastic, held to the bar by plastic. But I can at least see if this position works practically.

• Like 1