Clicking starter motor

Simon_CSK

The car is one of my TDV8 Range Rover Sports (2008) and for the last few weeks of use on occasion I would go to start it and there would be a click from the starter motor. I would release the key and try again and it would run fine until the next time. Last weekend the car went into limp mode and there was white smoke coming from the left exhaust. but was still starting and running. 

I then used the car to try and jump start a D3 I have having reversed the car out of the driveway. Drove the car back in turned it off and now the starter motor just clicks.

More has been done however before I go into that I would be interested to know what others would do and where they would start to resolve the problem of a non starting Range Rover Sport with the aforementioned issues..

With a normal vehicle, the clicking would signify either low battery power, poor connection in the main battery cables to starter or earth (or possibly engine earthing) faulty ignition switch or connection to the solenoid.

But then this is LR electrics.........

I cant see this causing limp mode or smoking though

As above, start with the wires to the starter, engine earth and starter relay. If you bridge the relay and the starter spins, you know it's something ahead of the relay.

I've also had a starter die that would click and only sometimes work, also depending on battery voltage. Which made me look at the battery and wires first. Then I took out the starter and tried it on the bench, found it was spinning way too slowly so replaced. Has been fine since.

Filip

8 hours ago, smallfry said:

With a normal vehicle, the clicking would signify either low battery power, poor connection in the main battery cables to starter or earth (or possibly engine earthing) faulty ignition switch or connection to the solenoid.

But then this is LR electrics.........

I cant see this causing limp mode or smoking though

SM/Filip

The smoking and limp mode I am guessing at an injector and totally separate to the clicking starter.

The reason I didn't say more was because I was looking to see if someone would come up with something I hadn't thought of.  I agree with you and Filip and this is the sequence of events so far.:

1 got the clicking and desided that the starter motor had failed.

2 put the car on stands to take out the starter, upon looking at it I thought that this is a nightmare lets look at youtube.

3. Someone had done exactly as I had only to find the 400 amp fuse blown 

4. decided to check the fuse and all good so it must be a faulty starter.

5. with a lot of cursing and swearing I removed the hub, driveshaft to get access to the starter.

6. replaced the started

7. Click

8. Tested the old starter, both the solenoid and the starter and all good (grr)

9. run a jump lead from battery -ve to the starter, click

10. run a jump lead from battery +ve to starter motor, click

11. put meter across 4oo amp fuse and it was blown,

12. replaced fuse, click.

13 repeated steps 9 & 10, click.

when I put the battery in my Vogue TDV8 it started off the button.

I am at a total loss I need a replacement battery for my Vogue and for my other Sport so I am going to get one tomorrow but for it to start another car it is obviously live and working.

Well, I know nothing about how RRs are wired regarding fusing and relays ........

However, try running a small wire direct from the positive battery terminal (use a crocodile clip or similar) and climb under the car, being careful not to short it on anything, and touch it on the SMALL terminal on the solenoid on the starter, and see if the engine spins over then.

If it does, then its something to do with the ignition switch on the steering column or however it is wired to the starter. I have no idea if its wired via a relay ?

10 hours ago, smallfry said:

Well, I know nothing about how RRs are wired regarding fusing and relays ........

However, try running a small wire direct from the positive battery terminal (use a crocodile clip or similar) and climb under the car, being careful not to short it on anything, and touch it on the SMALL terminal on the solenoid on the starter, and see if the engine spins over then.

If it does, then its something to do with the ignition switch on the steering column or however it is wired to the starter. I have no idea if its wired via a relay ?

The ignition switch is wired through the BCU and a relay to the starter motor. I can hear the rely click when the ignition is switched.

might be stating the obvious but have you checked the main engine to body earth strap? Could rule that out by taking a jump lead from the bolt that secures the starter straight back to the battery?

7 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

might be stating the obvious but have you checked the main engine to body earth strap? Could rule that out by taking a jump lead from the bolt that secures the starter straight back to the battery?

Step 9 yes. 

Lot of work done Simon, too bad you haven't found it yet...

You seem to have checked most things. 2 more things spring to mind: bypass the ignition switch and starter relay, either with a separate wire as above, or (easier) just bridge the starter relay and see what happens.
Some time ago I had a Renault (hate the bloody thing but the owner is a nice girl and I just can't refuse her...) with problems starting. Turned out the A/C compressor was stuck and the extra load on the belt was preventing the starter from turning the engine. So I'd put a spanner on th cranck and try to turn it by hand.

If the engine turns freely and brigding the relay doesn't help, I'm at a loss as well. Except going over the feed and earth to the starter yet again...

Filip

i would try and measure what is going on , put a voltmeter (black on - battery ) on the thin wire going to the startermotor relay (make sure the thin wire is still connected to the starter (if impossible to exces, make a splined wire), start and see what the voltage is on the wire .

step 2 is put the voltmeter on the thick wire on the starter motor (again leave the thick cable connected) , and see if the voltage drops away if you start the engine.

this will make sure you have power on both wires.

The low tension has now been tested with a new battery and still the same problem. Tested the fuse again and it is blown which would indicate that the starter motor is drawing too much current. Unlikely to be a starter motor problem as it is a replacement so am thinking there is a mechanical problem stopping the starter from turning, causing a high amp load and blowing the fuse. Next step is to remove the lower engine cover and turn the engine by hand.

7 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

The low tension has now been tested with a new battery and still the same problem. Tested the fuse again and it is blown which would indicate that the starter motor is drawing too much current. Unlikely to be a starter motor problem as it is a replacement so am thinking there is a mechanical problem stopping the starter from turning, causing a high amp load and blowing the fuse. Next step is to remove the lower engine cover and turn the engine by hand.

From everything you have done, sadly I think a mechanical problem can be the only answer.

F150 5.4 V8 I owned clicked on the solenoid with all of those things you have done ticked off and it turn out to be very very seized 😡

31 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

From everything you have done, sadly I think a mechanical problem can be the only answer.

F150 5.4 V8 I owned clicked on the solenoid with all of those things you have done ticked off and it turn out to be very very seized 😡

Was running at tick over, with smoke, before parked up. I switched it off and tried to restart it and it went click. 

2 hours ago, elbekko said:

Have you tried turning it over manually at all? Very possible a cylinder filled up with some sort of fluid and is now hydrolocked.

That is the next investigation having ruled out an electrical problems. With the smoke from the exhaust it is possible that one injector has over fuelled causing hydrolock.

4 hours ago, smallfry said:

I assume this 400 amp fuse is in the main (large) battery cables somewhere ?

yes. there are two feeds from the battery. One goes unfused to the fuse box the other with the 400amp fuse goes directly to the starter motor.