Coolant expansion tank connection

I have an ‘87 110 with a 12J engine. The brass coolant expansion tank spits coolant from the nipple just below the cap every time I drive (I need to add coolant constantly). Is there supposed to be a hose on that nipple that connects back into the system somewhere? There is a second port on the radiator that isn’t being used. Will that short circuit the expansion cap?

8 hours ago, Giles said:

I'm guessing - no 12j to hand - that it's an overflow kinda thing that should have a short piece of hose attached to route any coolant out, down and away ...

I've got an '84 and there is a pipe that directs the coolant down the inner wing.

20210519_171515.thumb.jpg.13a9e8d086e7da0897af587363f44f8a.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:42 PM, Kevinstraub11 said:

...spits coolant from the nipple just below the cap every time I drive (I need to add coolant constantly).

On a related note though, sounds like you might have some pressure in the coolant system that's pushing it out. Might be worth some investigation...

I just purchased that hose but don’t think it will solve my issue. There is definitely pressure in the system. Could be a faulty pressure cap but that would just let the pressure out more readily. Any other ideas? More fluid? What is the second port for on the top of the radiator?18BD760B-DD84-4769-ACE4-B3C24631C721.thumb.jpeg.c101dc6e10b48f7481f19e5c5f3d9d5e.jpeg

FD972B3F-3031-4B3B-AE20-8CFE25421498.jpeg

the stub pipe in your 2nd photo above is the tank overflow, it needs a hose from the stub & run down the inner wing as in the 1st photo by Tetsu0san

the other hose from top face of the header tank goes to the stub pipe on radiator rear face upper right side when radiator is viewed from the engine bay looking forward. 

if its pushing out coolant then either the pressure cap is not operating correctly or there is a bigger problem with crankcase pressure or combustion gases entering the coolant system.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...