Transfer case lock

Tony Montana

The diff lock can wind up the transmission unless you are off-road, so it might not pop out instantly when dis-engaged. If you have some gravel or slippery surface nearby then try driving in a circle or on nearly full lock for a few metres one way and then the other, should pop out then if there isn't any major problem.

The diff-lock lever operates via a cable, it is usually reliable; I suppose it might have snapped when engaging the diff-lock in which case you will have to crawl under and physically disengage it with a screw driver or something.

Ashcroft transmissions website have a video showing the fitting of the linkage to a D2, which would serve to give you an idea of the mechanism if needs be. 

I spent a long time looking for a D1 lever assembly to convert mine* and ended up paying for the Ashcroft one which was a lever and cable assembly, I may be wrong but I thought it was more or less the same? either way the same logic applies, it is a basically reliable system, diff lock may just be wound up, or there is some problem with the mechanical connection between  lever and gearbox??

*Land Rover things were much thinner on the ground in France at the time.

If the above does not fix it then I would be checking the warning light circuit to see if it is an electrical fault and lifting a wheel to see if the diff is in fact locked? Starting with the easiest option first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a contractor at work that had a newish  D1 200tdi so it was a few years a go, he had an issue with the light being permanent on, even after following the various procedures and advice giving, but soon after we heard he has crashed the disco on a roundabout which put him in hospital.
We didn’t see him much after that, I still wonder if it was the locked diff locked or just his speed or both going around the roundabout as he did say he had trouble getting round but really didn’t know.

Perhaps thats why LR state see your dealer as soon as poss if the diff lock light doesn’t extinguish.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:03 AM, missingsid said:

If the above does not fix it then I would be checking the warning light circuit to see if it is an electrical fault and lifting a wheel to see if the diff is in fact locked? Starting with the easiest option first.

^^This - Handbrake on , jack one front wheel up with gearbox in neutral and the wheel should be free to rotate . If it only goes a little way in either direction then the diff-lock is engaged . If it's free then remove the wire from the switch that goes into the loom and light should go out = switch fault , if the light stays on then a fault in the wiring 

cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1