Def 200tdi Coolant - no water in top hose.

So got a situation which has got me a tad perplexed.

Defender 200tdi - running VNT turbo a few fueling tweaks here and there but generally standard.

So running with the VNT she's running at a higher "boost pressure" of up to 1.3 bar (dictated by the how the turbo is set up from "factory") - oil temp runs a fair but hotter then with the standard turbo - i.e. 60mph motorway run with 15 degree ambient temp you get oil temps of about 100-110. which equates to water temp of about 91-92 degrees.

I was running standard rubber coolant hoses up until last Autumn where oddly after 1 standard run out to a friends I noticed that a number of various coolant hose connections had just started to leak coolant (I think I found 3 separate leaks). - I figured they where original hoses so was time for a change - I fitted a expensive set of Silicone hoses and have been running since with them.

What I've found is after a decent run - you check the engine and all the water hoses are rock hard and the water in the bottle has risen by a good 30-40mm. 

So leaving to fully cool down (stone cold) the water level mostly returns to the correct level, but the coolant system still can hold a good bit of pressure, on squashing the top hose it feels like the hose is empty of water, on popping the thermostat cover off - this has been confirmed.

I've fitted a thermostat cover that has an AC sender in it so effectively I can use it as a bleed point from the highest point (a bit like a 300tdi) - I'm still getting air coming out the system, which I find a little odd.

I didn't have this issue when I had the rubber hoses fitted. The head was overhauled by turners a few years ago with new genuine headgasket etc. water is clean so I'm not really suspecting my head gasket.

I'm not overly concerned as such as I'm not getting any overheating, but I just find it a little odd there appears to be so much air in the system.

Slightly different direction but related - I've been playing with the idea of fitting an independent oil cooler to take some of the load off the radiator, but at the same time I noticed my radiator core was looking a little perished or maybe fitting an Allisports rad...

Thoughts welcome.

Mav

6 hours ago, Maverik said:

The head was overhauled by turners a few years ago with new genuine headgasket etc. water is clean so I'm not really suspecting my head gasket.

Unfortunately air in the coolant system shouts head gasket type issues to me. Just because someone's done some work on the head and fitted a genuine head gasket (whatever that actually means) it doesn't mean that combusion gasses are not leaking into the coolant system somewhere.

Why did you have head work done before? The leaking coolant pipes you mentioned, did they cause the engine to overheat and was this the reason for the head work?

8 hours ago, Maverik said:

What I've found is after a decent run - you check the engine and all the water hoses are rock hard and the water in the bottle has risen by a good 30-40mm. 

Hoses getting really hard, does make you think about a compression leak in to the cooling system.

Maybe you could test the coolant of  combustion gases with one of those testing kits before assuming the worst? I am wondering if the hoses leak very slightly, I have a set that does, never amounts to a drip but can sometimes see traces of dried anti-freeze. This on a 300tdi with VNT that tows, so not entirely dissimilar ( I do have a 4 core rad though). Oil temps are interesting.

I'd think head gasket, but it wasn't acting like this prior to fitting the silicone hoses.

I did all the work, turners overhauled the head.

I only did the head last time as I wanted the valve stem seals done and I suspected one of the core plugs to be weeping on the rear of the head.

There no obvious indication in the water tank of an exhaust leak - I.e no wierd smell or oil/contamination in the water.

I've no overheating issues, never have on this engine.

I've got a Madman ems2 fitted so I can reasonably accurately see what's happening with verious temps and pressures.

Temperatures don't appear to be divergent in the way that you slow down etc then temps come down pretty quickly.

It's an old worn engine so having the engine run with the vnt at higher boost could have pushed it over the edge, it just seems not quite consistent with just a head failure.

Good feedback though, need to have another look, might try test the coolant too!

The system pressure goes up with temperature, so I wouldn’t be concerned about hard hoses when hot.  If the rad is looking tired, you could have a pinhole leak that is letting the system draw air in as it cools.  The other thing to check is the expansion tank and hose - make sure they’re clear and leak free, and that the cap is functioning correctly with its valves.

18 minutes ago, Snagger said:

The system pressure goes up with temperature, so I wouldn’t be concerned about hard hoses when hot.  If the rad is looking tired, you could have a pinhole leak that is letting the system draw air in as it cools.  The other thing to check is the expansion tank and hose - make sure they’re clear and leak free, and that the cap is functioning correctly with its valves.

Another good shout, I did wonder about the caps wee valves I know they can get a bit gunked up, I'll get that checked out too.

I had similar issues on my RRC 300Tdi, drawing air into the thermostat housing.  It was the Y- piece that joins the expansion hoses from the thermostat housing and rad to the single hose to the expansion tank that was bunged up.  I had thought it had valves in it, given the exterior shape, but it was a simple three way connector.  Once that was cleaned, the problem never returned.  I don’t think the 200Tdi has such a connection (my 200 being a Series retrofit, I can’t be sure), but any blockage of the expansion system would likely cause the same results.

• Like 1

Got a chemical test kit and popped it on the truck yesterday and it didn't indicate any combustion gas present - evidently it's a pretty reliable test.

I also had a look about at the cap, it's one of the one with a level sender on it, looked ok.

Went for a drive today and popped the bonnet after a decent run and the tank was pretty much full with only a small air gap - so I've ordered a new cap. It's obviously not holding its own, I thought you could dismantle the cap - the black ones I think you can to get in and clean the small relief valve and vac valve. So I gave it a good soak and blasted it with some water see if it washed any dirt out of it. Hopefully will improve it to get me bye until the new unit appears.

The idea of the expansion tank is for it to fill when the coolant is hot, rather than dump it overboard.  So, seeing it nearly full is normal.   The question is why is it not siphoning back into the rest of the system as it cools?  I think it is either that cap having blocked inward relief valves, a pinhole leak elsewhere or a blockage in the small hose between rad top and tank.

Yeah, I've been overthinking as per usual - I managed to borrow a replacement cap yesterday and its sorted the issue of rising coolant in the reservoir - which is the no brainer - if there is a leak there then the air bubble wont be sustained.

- hard hoses I'm fine with, the system is meant to operate at ~1 bar.

I had a better look at my radiator the other day and its pretty rough - a tad worse than I initially thought so I've got the radiator booked in for a re-core. Once done I'll have a concerted effort to bleed the system properly.

The expansion tank must work in the same way as the pressure vessel in a domestic central heating boiler. They use a charge of air pressure on one side of a diaphragm to push against the water on the other side. As the water volume expands with temperature, the air gets squeezed and the pressure rises. At ambient temperature though, the boiler water remains pressurised, due to that initial higher charge pressure, whereas the engine coolant returns to atmospheric pressure.

• 4 weeks later...

A wee update - so I changed the coolant cap with a new aftermarket thing and I'm still getting a "filled" up reservoir and a very empty top hose.

I've had a good inspection of the reservoir and it doesn't look cracked or split - I had a good pod, poke and squeeze when it was under pressure and I got nothing to indicate it had a problem 

I've got a new radiator now ready to go in as the present one is looking decidedly rough, will put new coolant in her too and give the system a flush. 

Glad it was a cheap and simple job in the end.  

You can imagine how difficult it was for the rad to push air that far down against coolant in that hose before it could escape upwards into the tank.  I haven’t paid close attention to the original hose, but I’d assume it’s made with a 90 degree bend in it to keep the bulk of it as close to the level of the rad top as possible.

• Like 1