Classic electrical issues

Longshanks68

Hi everyone,

I have bought a classic project which seems to have some electric issues. I was wondering if you guys would share your experience and knowledge with me and shed some light on the issues for me. It was bought ad a none starter and with no battery. So after getting it transported I bought a new battery for it to see what worked and what didnt. It did have an aftermarket immobiliser fitted but this has been removed and from what I can see the ignition circuit has been put back to how it was prior to this being fitted.  Its had a new coil, new plugs, new fuel pump, and starter fitted, but the main issue is it doesnt crank from the key . Dont even get a click from the solenoid.

I tested the wire from the ignition and its live  at the ignition switch and the harness plug where it connected it's to the main loom when the key is turned to crank . But it's got no power where it exits the harness to go to the starter solenoid. I connected a wire direct from the ignition straight to the solenoid and it turns over from the key but very slowly. 

I did get the engine running momentarily but cut out due to a fuel issue. Not been able to do much on it for a couple of weeks due to work, but last weekend tried it again  after sorting the fuel issue, but now only getting a click from  the starter. It tries to turn over,  but seems as though something is drawing the current.

I dont have a decent wiring diagram for it  so no idea where the ignition  wires go after leaving the switch, I presume through  a relay . 

I wanted to try and get this electrical  problem sorted soon as I need to remove the engine to do some welding on the body mounts at  the bottom bulkhead. Would like to hear the engine running before I took it out to see how she sounds too.  If anyone has any thought or ideas woukd greatly  appreciate  it.

Thanks Neil

Tell us which year and we can post a wiring diagram - there's also the factory RAVE manuals which are out there as free downloads if you search, and the old Haynes manual (of which there's about 3 or 4 revisions for the RRC) has wiring diagrams.