Home Dash layout for 1995 300Tdi

Looking for opinions on this mock-up of an idea I've had for a very long time. 

I have found it (so far) impossible to drill the 8 x 1/2" holes in a precise straight line, despite a couple of attempts. Any tips?

Yes, I know that the style (and sizes) of the instrument's faces does not match; I want to get the layout sorted first. (However, proper matched instruments are an expensive idea so may have to stick with this combination for the present)

Am sorry to have to chuck out the old Defender's Speedo (at 234,000 miles), but at 100mm diameter, it did not leave any real room to fit the additional items I wanted. So, the main gauges are 86mm dia., which allow for the extra 2" gauge and the re-location of most of the warning lights up to the top where I can actually see them. I have just bought a slim-style steering wheel which will improve overall visibility of the panel as I drive along. However, am still looking for the appropriate Hub/Boss to fit the 70mm x 48 Spline also having the lugs to cancel the indicators.

An idea I have is to fit 5-Pin relays for each of the warning lights so that they all light on the "Radio" or 1st turn of the key and then are returned to normal use on the 2nd turn of the key, by firing the 'turn-off' facility of the relay fed from the 2nd turn supply. Need to experiment later today.

I intend to illuminate the Heater Control positions as per previous advice gleaned here. Might even try for the little LEDs in the control arms. Lock-down is great as it gives time for ideas to be put into practice.

Now, over to the forum...

20210522_111405[1].jpg

Thanks Mo, Reb78 and Western for your comments.

The work-in-progress continues:- I've made up one loom to see if I can have an All Warning Lights test with Posn.1, which switches off on Posn.2 and it works. So now there are ten more mini-looms to make up; well 12 actually as I need to power the Tacho and Speedo with fused power.

Thank you, Western, for your helpful listing on the warning lights' colours. My photo is a mock-up and I had to use the warning lights that I could lay my hands on today to fill all the holes. I'll be sending in an order to Vehicle Wiring Products very shortly as I also want to move the Hazard Switch over to the MUD centre panel where it can be quickly operated without a fumble around the lower dash. I want to keep the Hazard wiring  in original colours.

What colour should I get to feed the Tacho from the W  on the Alt.? Single white or white with a tracer?

When this project is complete to a point that I can drive the Landy again, I need to research the options on replacing the chassis with a galv one.

What colour should I get to feed the Tacho from the W  on the Alt.? Single white or white with a tracer?

I used a plain yellow from my Alt 'W' terminal to rev counter, when I fitted a rev counter to my 200tdi engined 110.

• Thanks 1