Helicoils / Caliper Bolts

The bits and pieces arrived tonight and you were correct, @Bowie69 it was a 1.25mm thread. Tomorrow I'll give the helicoil set a bash. I've never tapped or died anything before so I'm intrigued as to how easy/hard it's going to be.

2 minutes ago, paime said:

The bits and pieces arrived tonight and you were correct, @Bowie69 it was a 1.25mm thread. Tomorrow I'll give the helicoil set a bash. I've never tapped or died anything before so I'm intrigued as to how easy/hard it's going to be.

Keep the tap square as you go and once you're started for every turn forwards, give it ~0.5 or so of a turn backwards to break off the material it's cutting. Bit of grease on the tap will help it cut. 

For the helicoil insert itself... put it on the tool with the tang (the bit sticking into the middle that you drive it from) away from the handle of the insert tool. If it's got a sliding bush on it, move that down and lock it so you can push the insert against it whilst starting the insert in the new thread. 

• Like 1

Smaller taps / into softer materials work quite well in a drill but for an M12 into steel you want to do that by hand.

@landroversforever I have a set of taps & drills that came from Cromwell Tools for about £60 and are far better than any of the cheapy sets but way below the price of "proper" jobs like Dormer. It's M3-M12 with a correct drill bit, starter, 2nd and plug taps for each size in the set.

• Like 2

Remember when tapping you want to use a cutting fluid.

When tapping use one full turn clockwise followed by half a turn back to break the cuttings, followed by full turn etc.

Make sure you take the tap far enough through the workpiece to run clear of any taper on the tap.

I'd then degrease the thread and apply some locktite before inserting the helical.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 1:36 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

@landroversforever I have a set of taps & drills that came from Cromwell Tools for about £60 and are far better than any of the cheapy sets but way below the price of "proper" jobs like Dormer. It's M3-M12 with a correct drill bit, starter, 2nd and plug taps for each size in the set.

That's a pretty comprehensive set, with the drill bit and three taps for each size.  I've only got a single tap for each size.  What about the corresponding dies?  You'll need them as well.

Mike

On 6/4/2021 at 7:11 AM, Troll Hunter said:

That's a pretty comprehensive set, with the drill bit and three taps for each size.  I've only got a single tap for each size.  What about the corresponding dies?  You'll need them as well.

It's taps & drills only in the set, I find myself tapping a lot more than I ever need to use a die. I have a cheapy cheapy set of taps & dies but the most they get used for is chasing a manky thread on something, although my general rule is that I don't re-use fasteners anyway unless they're something special or hard to come by.

Back on the subject of brake calliper bolts - I've had bolts come adrift from my callipers on the disc conversion and it's no fun at all, the new version is VERY Loctited in place and I'd advise Paime to do the same. Helicoiling something like this makes me nervous - I'm sure done properly it's up to the job but on a brake calliper I'm very reluctant to cut corners.

I nervously started work this morning. The first challenge was getting access to the threads with the drill. Had to bite the bullet and take the disc off to get at it from the other side which was a touch annoying. After that it was almost plain sailing. On my first attempt getting the helicoil in I put too much pressure on it and it jumped some threads. On my second attempt I let it guide its own way in and all was well. I'm amazed by how much grip it has now and even more amazed that everything seemed to work fine! Also had to Macgiver a tool for the tap as my one wasn't big enough.

20210606_095830.jpg

20210606_101928.jpg

20210606_102053.jpg

20210606_102509.jpg

20210606_102603.jpg

20210606_102938.jpg

20210606_103209.jpg

20210606_103311.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

Looks a tidy job!

(Is it just the photo or is that brake pipe quite flat on the U shaped bend?!)

Just the photo thankfully! If you zoom in you can see the inner edge of the brake line.

• 8 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, paime said:

I nervously started work this morning. The first challenge was getting access to the threads with the drill. Had to bite the bullet and take the disc off to get at it from the other side which was a touch annoying. After that it was almost plain sailing. On my first attempt getting the helicoil in I put too much pressure on it and it jumped some threads. On my second attempt I let it guide its own way in and all was well. I'm amazed by how much grip it has now and even more amazed that everything seemed to work fine! Also had to Macgiver a tool for the tap as my one wasn't big enough.

20210606_095830.jpg

20210606_101928.jpg

20210606_102053.jpg

20210606_102509.jpg

20210606_102603.jpg

20210606_102938.jpg

20210606_103209.jpg

20210606_103311.jpg

Hi Paime, how is your caliper repair holding up? I have just managed to strip mine when refitting the caliper,  so I will have to do the same as you. My caliper bolts are imperial but I will use the metric ones on the repair as I don't think an insert will be available in the imperial size.

Thanks for your. 

Mick

If it's a 90/110 axle it should be metric.

Bear in mind if it is an imperial Rangy axle that Rangy imperial calipers have a different size mounting hole for the differently sized bolt shank and are not interchangeable with metric bolts. 

HTH

Mo

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

Bear in mind if it is an imperial Rangy axle that Rangy imperial calipers have a different size mounting hole for the differently sized bolt shank and are not interchangeable with metric bolts. 

HTH

Mo

He has a set of new calipers, i think.  

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

HTH

Mo

Thanks Mo. I have measured the diameter of the bolts and as far as I can tell they are the same, but the threads are definitely different. I originally bought metric as I assumed they would be that, but when it came to them coming out (which took some doing on one side), they were definitely a coarser thread.

20220130_142927.thumb.jpg.46c2e7fdc7499364d5267e5440ab7c35.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Thanks Mo. I have measured the diameter of the bolts and as far as I can tell they are the same, but the threads are definitely different. I originally bought metric as I assumed they would be that, but when it came to them coming out (which took some doing on one side), they were definitely a coarser thread.

20220130_142927.thumb.jpg.46c2e7fdc7499364d5267e5440ab7c35.jpg

The old bolt, looks like M12x1.75, the new one 12x1.00  Measure with vernier calipers the top of the thread.  

Edited by Wytze

22 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Could the new bolts be for the swivel ball? 

No I originally ordered the metric assuming mine would be. I had to go back for the others.  The hole centres are definitely the same, and if it wasn't for this thread stripping I would of hoped that I would been onto making the brake pipes!

6 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

If you mean we're they forced off centre by the hole centres of the calipers, then yes they were fine. I did put them in just using the extension and socket, so yes they went in quite easy.

But, you did use the fine threaded bolt's in the 12x1.75 threaded holes?  

50 minutes ago, Wytze said:

But, you did use the fine threaded bolt's in the 12x1.75 threaded holes?  

No, when I took the existing bolts out I realised I had got the wrong ones and went and got the correct replacements. I cleaned the thread by cutting slots in one of the existing bolts and used that.