LEZ (the old one not the new ULEZ)

3 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

I wonder if they've decided to go through and mark all 110 SW prior to a certain date as no longer exempt because they originally had 12 seats even though nobody will insure them for 12 occupants anymore?

With seatbelts though and bench seats dont count so even a 12 seater would only have 6 seats according to their classification?

Just looked at my V5 - it says County but not station wagon anywhere. The county pack could only be added to station wagons couldn't it?

it is registered as an estate though!

Whats the VIN code for a station wagon? I seem to remember one or a set of the letters indicated an SW?

Edited by reb78

Thought I’d check my 1996 vehicle with an M in the VIN and this is the result on their look-up

• LAND ROVER 110 DEFENDER COUNTY SWTDI

It would be subject to two charges, congestion and ULEZ  

So you have SW in the name on the v5. I think thats the difference to mine. Mine says 

110 4C County D Turbo

the fact its a County I think means it has to be a Station Wagon and the fact it says CSW on the sales receipt from new plus the M in the VIN proves this. 

32 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

There were county hard tops, but yours is clearly a station wagon as defined by the build VIN. 

Ah thats good to know. I wont use that as an argument then!

OK, so having had some long discussions with TFL about this I can offer some help.

If your Landy is Petrol then it is outside the scope of the LEZ. That is solely for diesels and is intended to limit old, dirty commercial vehicles, and comes out (roughly) to the M25.

Your Landy will almost certainly fall foul of the ULEZ, which is a different animal entirely. That occupies the same area as the congestion charge zone.

If your Landy is a diesel and a utility, 2/3 door, pickup, ex military, anything except a CSW essentially, then you will get clobbered by the LEZ. They seem to go on what Land Rover say it is on the VIN. And they are utterly inflexible - the world according to TFL is black and white, there are no shades of grey.

Mine is currently an NA diesel, but I am just refurbing a 3.9 V8, gearbox and transfer box to upgrade it. And stick 2 fingers up at Chairman Khan at the same time.

Oh, and as suggested elsewhere, the reference to safety in the LEZ is about HGVs with extra mirrors, side bars and buzzers to stop lemmings cyclists from getting squashed when they try to dive down the inside of a lorry turning left, for example.

Edited by Junglie
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 5/29/2021 at 12:55 PM, CwazyWabbit said:

So for years my Defender 110 has been exempt from the London Low Emission Zone due to having a body type on the V5C of estate.

It seems some magic has occurred somewhere to remove that exemption (to be clear I never had to apply for an exemption). I have been sent a PCN warning from them, you get one of these for the first time a vehicle that is not exempt is driven within the LEZ. This is of course odd as I've regularly used the vehicle in the LEZ since 2012 when it was introduced. There have been no changes to my V5C since I bought the 110 over 11 years ago (before the LEZ).

Has anyone else had this happen?

Hello. Hi. Bought my Defender 90 200TDI 1993, my first, a couple of weeks ago....all fine until yesterday when I received 3 penalty charges for driving on Croydon Road, Mitcham, SW London.... a Low Emissions Zone... £250 each if I pay within 14 days...£750 each if I dont !!!🥵 anyone else had this ? I seem to own a car that I now can't drive ... what fun !

8 hours ago, shagger said:

Hello. Hi. Bought my Defender 90 200TDI 1993, my first, a couple of weeks ago....all fine until yesterday when I received 3 penalty charges for driving on Croydon Road, Mitcham, SW London.... a Low Emissions Zone... £250 each if I pay within 14 days...£750 each if I dont !!!🥵 anyone else had this ? I seem to own a car that I now can't drive ... what fun !

your issue is almost certainly how is it registered, if it is registered as 'Light 4x4/Utility' (wording similar at least) they think it is a commercial and not a car. I would get in touch with them ASAP and take pictures to send to them to prove it is a car - assuming it is a station wagon of course

• Like 1

Hi. Bought this one, a 1993, my first, a couple of weeks ago....all fine until a couple of days ago when I received 2 penalty charges for driving on Croydon Road, Mitcham. SW London... a Low Emissions Zone... £250 each if I pay within 14 days...£750 each if I dont !!!🥵 anyone else had this ? I seem to own a car that I can't drive ... what fun !

Since posting this, I got another one today, same spot ....... I now have to avoid that particular area !

I had a long chat with the guys I bought the Landy from, and they reckon that they can assist, by getting the classification amended with DVLA and presumably TFL as well, to record that it has 4 fixed seats and belts in the back, which, backed up with pics of the outside and inside,  I am hoping like hell, will solve my problem.

If it does not do the trick, then I and I guess many other Landrover owners are well and truly buggered.

20210904_145342.jpg

I get a copy of the ULEZ status of all vehicles every 6 months or so for my site, and it seems like there's little rhyme or reason why specific Defenders might be able to avoid the charge. Many are station wagons (SALLDHM/SALLDVB/SALLDWB) but there's also many of every other type of body, hard tops, double cabs, utility wagons, 130 crew cabs. There's also 300Tdis, Td5s, 2.4 and 2.2 Tdcis. In total there's about 2,500 Defenders in the UK that are ULEZ compliant in the eyes of TFL. From an 8% sample of these vehicles, about 48% are recorded on the V5C as "Light 4x4 Utility", 25% as "Estate" and 27% are miscellaneous.

Most compliant Defenders seem to be allocated by the system somehow, and less than a hundred are "exempt", which I assume means the owner has applied for exemption... There seems to also be a disproportionate amount of newly registered Defenders given a compliant status (e.g. imports or demobbed Wolfs, not "new" Defenders). Anecdotally, imported ROW 2.4 and 2.2 Tdci Pumas (no DPF) seem to get given a compliant status more than most, although it's not a given. I guess that unless recorded as "exempt", the status of a vehicle could be retroactively changed at any moment...?

Some of this data may be skewed due to private plates moving from compliant vehicles to Defenders and TFL not keeping track of it.

I've combined all this together to put a filter on my site for finding Defenders for sale that are ULEZ compatible (at least the number plate is). It's another potential route - hope it helps someone 👍.

• Like 4