Tool recommendation, please? And some other stuff...

Hi all,

Bank holiday weekend and my wife has given me permission to work on the Landy. Obviously there'll be some sort of quid pro quo later, but right now this a gift horse whose teeth will remain unexamined. 

Unlike the transfer box and gearbox that are going in my Landy. See what I did there?

Trouble is, I have discovered that my bearing pullers are basically rubbish. So while I have got (almost) everything apart on the LT230, I am now stuck in that I cant get the poxy bearings off to replace them.

I also can't undo the person I'm not that keen on big staked nut (that isn't really a nut, it's a threaded disc with two flats on it) that holds the last cluster in the cases.

So. First of all can anyone recommend decent bearing pullers and a suitable tool for the nut?

Second, is there a product you'd recommend for getting off old gasket sealant?

And third, I don't have a parts washer any more (because my daughter has just divorced him) so is there a company you'd use for getting cases back to looking like new before I reassemble them? Or a product (but time - not calendar time, just my time) is short so it may be more sensible to send them away to get done...

Thanks,

Simon

• Like 1

I can’t help with the bearing puller.  RTV sealant is designed to resist chemical attack, so I think you’ll have to persevere with mechanical methods to remove it.  As for the casing, vapour blasting gets the best results, and you’ll probably have a blaster relatively close to you who can do it.  It gives a slightly more polished surface than grit or media blasting, so doesn’t stain quite as easily after the job.  But if you want to do it at home, a strong paint stripper should clean most stuff off, and may reduce corrosion marks too if you’re lucky.

• Thanks 1

I almost always drive bearing races out with a decent pin punch & hammer. For bearings on shafts I tend to make pullers by welding a thick washer & nut over the end of a length of tubing/pipe and then weld the other end to the offending bearing and screw a bolt in the top to pull it off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Glass scrapers. And the reason I like the razor one over the stanley blade one I've got is the angle... you can keep a much flatter angle which I find helpful on softer faces.

Especially one as soft and tender as yours young Ross 😊

Mo

OK, so I have thrown some money at Cromwells and bought a wide-jaw adjustable spanner which goes up to 60mm. Punched out the staking, used a steel rod in the holes of the diff itself to stop it all turning and the nut just spun off. Simple, and hopefully similarly straightforward to replace.

I also bought a hydraulic bearing puller set  (105-150mm) which made all the rest of the stuff really straightforward. 

Links here:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/adjustable-wrenches/product/p/KEN5015120K

And here:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/automotive/pullers-hydraulic/product/p/KEN5034700K

Next step is vapour blasting and rebuilding then I'll do the gearbox. It's vaguely possible I may actually get this done before I die of old age...

There are many 'special tools' shown in the Green Bible, and often drawings enabling one to build one's own.

I made this item for a similar large 'nut' (a large threaded ring with 2 flats) that you describe. In my case the target of attention was an LT85 gearbox.

It's just a few bits of 1/2" thick steel (just what was to hand) welded together, with the centre square hole to suit a 1/2" drive ratchet handle.

IMG_20210607_210521518.jpg

IMG_20210607_210535033.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK, so an update.

I have now completely disassembled the transfer box.

The Kennedy tools I mention a couple of posts further up are absolutely the dog's and do the job perfectly without completely breaking the bank.

Getting carp off gasket faces and even the outside of the box I ended up using this stuff: 

715WkXT9U0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I originally got it for removing the bazillion warning labels you find on any modern motorbike, but it actually seems pretty good fir just about anything...

I'll be reassembling during the next week and then starting on the gearbox. Then a light refresh of the engine and I should be able to start looking at moving things around. Wonders will never cease...

Edited by Junglie