New Balls

kevin50

Rebuilding series 109, just about ready to rebuild axles and got these kits Full Kit With Swivel Housing (LATE) | Swivel Parts | Front Axle | Axle | Series 2 and 3 | Parts & Accessories - Paddock Spares

They do not have the bearings 244150  in this diagram,  Swivel Pin Bearing Housing and Half Shaft - Except 109in V8 - Find Land Rover parts at LR Workshop

now most come with 244151 but mine did not have this distance piece as its called. Front Halfshaft Bearing - Paddock Spares

Confused now do I need 244151 or just 244150 ??

Thanks

I think it’s assumed you’ll reuse the old shaft bearing, but the spacer is perhaps a bit fragile and easily damaged when drifting or pressing it out, so if it’s cheap, they may have decided to add I it to the kit as a precaution.  I don’t even remember the part when I did that job, so it can’t have been that problematic.

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think it’s assumed you’ll reuse the old shaft bearing, but the spacer is perhaps a bit fragile and easily damaged when drifting or pressing it out, so if it’s cheap, they may have decided to add I it to the kit as a precaution.  I don’t even remember the part when I did that job, so it can’t have been that problematic.

Thanks still not sure where it goes though as can't see it on mine. Is it already on shaft here in pic ?

IMG_20210530_134343.jpg

29 minutes ago, Jon White said:

Yes it’s the part you are pointing to. Those bearings need changing they’re completely knackered.

90217398 is the retaining sleeve. Yours also look very worn so I would change them too.

Thanks how the hell do you change these ?

Heat them with a butane torch to expand them, and tap them down the shaft with a hammer and masonry/stone chisel.  

When fitting the new bits, make sure the shaft is free of corrosion and burrs, then put it in a plastic bag (to keep it dry and stick it in your freezer for a few hours, the colder the better, to contract it .  Put the other parts in the oven to bake at 200-250 degrees for 15 minutes or so to expand.  They should then slide down the cold shaft far more easily.  If the shaft gets frosty (plastic bag should minimise that), give it a spray of WD40 to shift the frost and then quickly slide the hot parts down.  Hold them in firmly against the UJ knuckle while the temperatures all stabilise and everything tightens up.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Heat them with a butane torch to expand them, and tap them down the shaft with a hammer and masonry/stone chisel.  

When fitting the new bits, make sure the shaft is free of corrosion and burrs, then put it in a plastic bag (to keep it dry and stick it in your freezer for a few hours, the colder the better, to contract it .  Put the other parts in the oven to bake at 200-250 degrees for 15 minutes or so to expand.  They should then slide down the cold shaft far more easily.  If the shaft gets frosty (plastic bag should minimise that), give it a spray of WD40 to shift the frost and then quickly slide the hot parts down.  Hold them in firmly against the UJ knuckle while the temperatures all stabilise and everything tightens up.

Thanks Mate should the other 2 rings below be renewed also ?

The shafts have three collars.  The one you’re painting to looks fine - if you can get them off without damage, reuse them.  The middle collar is the shaft bearing inner race - they are wrecked and need replacement, and so would the outer race with the rollers, but they’ll come as kits.  The black inner collar is the oil seal land for the axle tube end.  If the seal contact area is just polished but not grooved, reuse it, but if it is grooved, it’ll need replacing - the oil levels in the swivel housings is significantly higher than in the axle tube, so those seals need to work.