Cure for swollen nuts

L19MUD

I thought this may be of interest! Nobody likes swollen nuts. The set includes sizes that will do the old Defender/Disco/RRC 27mm plus sizes for L322 RR etc.

I have just bought a set, will report back on quality etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welzh-Werkzeug-Wheel-Nut-Cap-Flip-Socket-Set-5-Piece-Impact-3107-WW-/174289967879?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

9 hours ago, garrycol said:

Just use a six sided socket and no rattle gun - problem solved - no need to spend a fortune on a set of sockets - of course OK if you have no sockets.

No good when you’ve got the swollen nuts. The chrome covers balloon up and you can’t get a standard socket on. The next size up is too loose so these look like a great happy medium. 

That does look like a nice set. I particularly like the double sized sockets, so you don't have to look for the next size up if you find one or more nuts have swollen a bit. I'd consider buying it, if I hadn't recently gotten a long reach impact socket set in the same sizes as well as a 1"1/8 socket I use for swollen LR nuts. It's on the large side, but I couldn't find a 28mm so it will have to do the job. And by the time they've swollen, I'm not really concerned if some additional damage should occur.

14 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Is there any reasonable prevention for swollen nuts? Like soaking them in a corrosion inhibitor or similar?

I have tried putting L322 ones in a bucket of diesel overnight but a couple of years old they had still got worse

31 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

I’m sure I’ve seen somewhere solid nuts for sale, that would be the proper cure though no doubt expensive. 

They were fitted from the factory on some RRC and maybe D1's , zinc plated solid steel .

edit to add part number NRC7415 - Bearmach pack of 5 £9 +vat 

Steve

Edited by steve b

On 5/30/2021 at 9:38 AM, L19MUD said:

Cure for swollen nuts

Go get them checked by a doctor.

Seriously, Cant see that being very useful. The nuts dont swell, they just have surface corrosion. Brush it off and use the correct socket. Most times the nut will be undersize from the corrosion.

Edit, just seen you mean chrome wheel nuts, so that advice is not totally correct (difficult to get in and brush) But i'd still try getting a scrapper or chisel in the and cleaning the chrome off the face.

16 minutes ago, HoSS said:

... The nuts dont swell, they just have surface corrosion. Brush it off and use the correct socket.

Actually, the nuts DO swell. The nuts have stainless steel covers, the nuts corrode and the corrosion takes up more space and thus expands the stainless steel cover. This expansion of the cover is the 'swelling'. It means the standard socket struggles to fit.
In mild cases a 12 point (bi-hex) socket can be hammered on, distorting the cover into the extra space inside the socket, but as the corrosion (and swelling) gets worse, the only thing that will fit is a larger socket.
If the larger socket is 12 point it may not catch on the corners of the nut, especially as these corners are rounded due to the style of the covers.
At this point a 6 point socket is required, but if this is 'flank drive', where each of the 'flat' sides curve inwards, they may still need hammering on as the 'curve in' meets the maximum point of the swell.

Each person will have a different break point, when the cost of new nuts is less aggravation than choosing the best solution for each of the 20  nuts.

Regards.

21 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

Actually, the nuts DO swell. The nuts have stainless steel covers, the nuts corrode and the corrosion takes up more space and thus expands the stainless steel cover. This expansion of the cover is the 'swelling'. It means the standard socket struggles to fit.

Ah ok, not seen that. I thought OP was referring to normal solid nuts.

On my D3 I removed the covers, some just pulled off others were a bit of a mare.

Other than a light cour (my wheels were satin black) with got darker with brake dust, I really liked the bare nuts look.

17 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

Each person will have a different break point, when the cost of new nuts is less aggravation than choosing the best solution for each of the 20  nuts.

Agreed but you can't do that on other peoples cars or for every Land Rover that happens to pass through the workshop so this seemed like an ideal answer

21 hours ago, steve b said:

They were fitted from the factory on some RRC and maybe D1's , zinc plated solid steel .

edit to add part number NRC7415 - Bearmach pack of 5 £9 +vat 

Steve

Didn't know about these! Wonder if the do some for the L322

Used these today on some newly painted Defender 27mm nuts that had swollen slightly. Hardly marked the paint when using the 27.5mm side so is far less damaging than hammering on a 27mm or using the 28mm to torque up and pull them out of shape. They are also thinner walled than a normal 27mm impact.

Yes £40 for 4 double sided sockets seems a lot but if you are using a 4 on multiple vehicles it seems worth the outlay.

Nothing negative to say about them

• Like 1