Discovery 300tdi cylinder head mounted onto Discovery 200tdi engine.

Ohlins

Posted (edited)

My friends 200tdi cylinder cracked in the usual place between the valves. He couldn't find an other cylinder head and as I have parts here we decided to give it a whirl to show others our findings when we put on a 300tdi cylinder head without changing out pistons. We couldn't find anyone else on the internet who had chronicled it. If it all goes horribly wrong we don't care......it's only a 30 yr old engine on a 30 yr old Land Rover.

I'll list what parts are required at the end along with some mention as we go along...

200tdi cylinder head that was leaking water.

yLsJWGU.jpg

axYAVFI.jpg

I had a 300tdi head kicking about so as you can see the distance between the valves is further apart  than on the 200tdi.

FNuvUZV.jpg

We set about cleaning the dusty head that's been in the workshop with copious amounts of brake cleaner.....

UahrWdI.jpg

We will need the rocker assembly too.....

epla3Xz.jpg

We cleaned off the block as best we could in readiness for the head to be fitted, scraping off any left over gasket material........

qQV0b8N.jpg

We put on a new cylinder head gasket and mount the head.......we torque down first to 40Nm then continue two tightening sequences at  sequence at 60 degrees.....each flat on a bolt is about 60 degrees hence the marker pen marks.

300tdi pistons have a different combustion chamber to the 200tdi pisttons......so there should not be a perfect burn pattern going on. We'll see what it drives like later.

300tdi pistons......

ocdDKNE.jpg

200tdi pistons.......

Ca0deX7.jpg

You'll need the 300tdi rocker assembly and injectors.....glow plugs are the same as are the pushrods.....the 200tdi valve stem caps will work if you haven't lost any down into the pushrod holes.

HYD1SNd.jpg

cw8RvYU.jpg

The first goofy thing you'll find is the hard fuel lines from the injection  pump need to be 300tdi....17mm same size to tighten as with the 200tdi, but the thread is different....

You'll also need to take off the connectors that keep the fuel pipes together and parallel. You'll be pulling and bending same to make them fit.

NsWli4l.jpg

j6IKGw1.jpg

ymAFSxo.jpg

wwkf4Bs.jpg

Once we set the valve clearances and put on  the rocker cover  the next goofy thing we found was that the water heater tube was fouling the connection of the water temperature sender which meant the tube would not pass......after tightening the sender gingerly the tube was able to pass.....so no need for a 300tdi inlet manifold.

pID3QJA.jpg

5t1UWeS.jpg

ZqfmcEC.jpg

You'll also need the 300tdi rocker cover breather canister and the thermostat housing.....after that it's ready to go apart from rummaging about for some water hoses to connect the water pump and heater.

Edited by Ohlins

Well it would be interesting to see what's involved, I can't believe someone hasn't thought about it already but I'll watch with interest!

Just now, Blanco said:

Well it would be interesting to see what's involved, I can't believe someone hasn't thought about it already but I'll watch with interest!

Looked at that a while ago there is some mods to do to the thermostat area to get everything hooked up in the end I just put on the 300Tdi manifold and turbo as that gave me what I wanted at the time regards Stephen

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Looked at that a while ago there is some mods to do to the thermostat area to get everything hooked up in the end I just put on the 300Tdi manifold and turbo as that gave me what I wanted at the time regards Stephen

Yip......I too have that set up on my 200tdi Disco engine in my Defender, with a 200tdi head, that is.

Really hard to find a 200tdi head here in France at present and Frederick needs the Disco for the Rallye des Cimes and others here as he's clerk of the course. 

All the best

:)

Edited by Ohlins

First start up just to see that it works......we'll find a water hose routing  solution next.....we're thinking it should not be up to full power when we test drive due to the different pistons, injectors and fuel pump calibration but we'll see and report back.  We should give it a whirl this weekend.

• Like 1