Wiring loom plug identification

Longshanks68

Hi , as per previous post still have some wiring issues on my 1992 classic project. Doesnt crank from the ignition, so have followed the red and white wire to the relay where it  sends power to a small black /yellow wire . This should feed a orange/brown wire which goes to the inhibitor  switch on the gearbox. I have traced the wire and they go to a round plug (pictured ) but it's not connected to anything, and I cant see where it should be connected to.

If I bridge the yellow/black to the orange/brown. It sends power to the inhibitor and cranks from the key. So my question is does anyone know where it should connect to. It's on the drivers side inner wing just in front of the ABS unit. Seems like I have some wiring missing. There are around 10 wires in the plug so I am guessing  they should all connect to something.  It's a 1992 3.9 V8

If any one has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Neil

20210604_201132.jpg

20210604_201148.jpg

I don't know if stuff changed from 1990 to 1992 but I thought most of the systems stayed the same after the swap to Hotwire EFi & ABS until the P38 came along.

I'm not finding any manuals in my collection that are specifically 1992.

Have a look here, there's a few that may be of use:

https://fuddymuckers.co.uk/rtfm/RangeRover/RRC/

92 will be a bit of a challenge as they seemed to make it up as they went... it’s something of a transition year and there’s very little (seemingly) available as wiring diagrams etc

I’ve got the remains of a loom from a 92  - will have a go through it tomorrow to see if I can identify the plug that you have shown...

Have you checked it's not just some optional equipment plug that you don't have fitted - did those years come with air suspension for example? Trying to think of things that would warrant a 10-way plug randomly floating in the engine bay :mellow:

Also have you traced back from the starter to confirm that you don't have continuity to the start switch - this plug could be a red herring.

Hi , thanks for the reply. I have traced the red /white wire from the ignition switch to a relay then out of the relay it becomes black/yellow. This wire runs to the round plug pictured. The starter wire is dead until I bridge it with a piece of wire to the brown /orange wire.  This is the same colour wire as the one that goes to the inhibitor switch. Once its bridged the starter wire becomes live when the key is turned to the cranking position. I was hoping someone had a 1992 model and could loom at their wiring to see if they have this plug too.

Thanks Neil

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would update the post incase anyone else comes across this problem. Turns out the connector in question was connected to the central locking   and alarm system . It seems the previous owner has removed a section of the harness.

Another job to add to my list .