Chrome scam

missingsid

Not sure if this is old hat?

Mate got a call.

Your BT broadband is below min performance. Please log on to it using Chrome. After telling them he will phone back they put the phone down. No recent call was logged to the line.

Presumably they have a hack for Chrome? Is this a weak browser or maybe they had only started with Chrome?

"you've come through to GCHQ telecom research unit, who gave you this number? Tracing call now. You are a scammer, that is dishonourable activity, we will prosecute."

Dial tone.........

I enjoy keeping them on the phone so they aren't calling other people. I have a couple of tactics:

When they spell stuff out for you to type into your PC I deliberately miss hear what they say and repeat the wrong thing back to them which causes them no end of frustration. When they ask me if I am on my PC and what can I see, I start to explain that I am on a "gentlemens art appreciation website" and then start describing what that is. They usually don't know how to deal with that and wastes a bit of their time. 

1 hour ago, tuko said:

If the number calling is not on my phone list, I don't answer then I block it. On average its 3~4 a week. 

Mom does that.... but it doesn't slow the rate of calls down IMO and is just a fruitless enterprise.

I do enjoy wasting their time, so I'm always annoyed when I get the call and I haven't got the time to play with them. 

My Dad just recently got done by a scammer pretending to be from his ISP.... thankfully his PC is so old and slow while he was waiting, he got suspicous and hung up.... he then rang the bank and got them to hold his account, he didn't get burned but it was close 

Part of why I don't sign up for F all with my real name.... 

Keep a double glassing salesman who cold called on the phone for over half an hour once even passed him over to my "neighbor" to answer the door, we both agreed to have conservatories and agreed for the engineer to come round to measure up, he was quite happy until he asked me to confirm the address and I read him out a lat and long, asked again I repeated the coordinates, then told him he had rung the direct line for a logging unit in the middle of the North Sea and he was quite welcome to send the engineer. He hung up hard!. Kept us entertained for a while though on a quite shift.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, sean f said:

Keep a double glassing salesman who cold called on the phone for over half an hour once even passed him over to my "neighbor" to answer the door, we both agreed to have conservatories and agreed for the engineer to come round to measure up, he was quite happy until he asked me to confirm the address and I read him out a lat and long, asked again I repeated the coordinates, then told him he had rung the direct line for a logging unit in the middle of the North Sea and he was quite welcome to send the engineer. He hung up hard!. Kept us entertained for a while though on a quite shift.

Mate did similar…. Only he then gave them his flat address :rofl: