Question for anyone with Panoramic glass fitted

I am planning on fitting panoramic glass as part of my rebuild - is any of the original side panel visible with Panoramics fitted? My side panels are currently a different colour to the rest of it. I just wonder if I need the added expense of getting them painted, only to be covered up?

Some close up pics of panoramics fitted would be great too.

Appearance mainly. You either like it or you don't, like a lot of things added or done to Defenders etc.  The window aperture remains the same size but there's nothing to stop you enlarging it if you wanted. Providing, of course, sufficient remains for the window bonding to be adequate

On 6/12/2021 at 10:09 PM, L19MUD said:

What is the benefit to this? Is there a bigger window aperture? Looks very fragile to me and I'm not sure of the benefit? 

Not trying to be negative but not sure of the selling point

I thought they didn't actually change the original window aperture just stuck over the top of the existing panels for a cleaner look?

• Like 1

It’s the high gloss, black looking glass sheet for the sides of the hard tops, Garry.  Looks very slightly odd on a black Defender as the panels look completely smooth and flat.  They are obvious on any other colour because the entire side of the hard top is black.  They have versions with sliding windows to mimic the windows in Station Wagons, but their tracks and frames are bonded to the inside of the main glass sheet, so there is no external frame, just the recessed sliding pane.  Look up Masai - they were the first to introduce these things.

They’re a good way to hide panel damage and corrosion without the worry of paint deterioration or recurring corrosion.  I’m not convinced by their looks on a vehicle that isn’t black, but a lot of people really like the contrast.

Ok thanks - never seen it nor seen any pics of it.  I just looked up Masai 4wd and can now see what you mean - her in Aust a panoramic window is a roof glass panel like a sunroof.

Why would you - toss comes to mind.

Edited by garrycol
  • Like 1

I think that there is a global term, panoramic roofs being much larger than standard sunroofs.  These are panoramic windows rather than roofs.  I have only seen the term used in the context of a few suppliers for Land Rovers, specifically Defenders - I doubt many other vehicles are catered for because almost all have slightly curved side panels, even commercial vans.

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought they didn't actually change the original window aperture just stuck over the top of the existing panels for a cleaner look?

Sames as a D3/4 roof, full glass from above but tiny openings inside. Total waste as

A. Can't even be seen.

B. No Benefit inside.

C. Expensive to replace when broke if even possible.

As an alternative to the aftermarket blindspot windows in some hardtops I think the panoramic sides look much better. Even the factory station wagon windows give an untidy appearance and mess up the proportions of the car in my view compared to standard hardtop sides.

Anything that increases safety and usability while retaining something similar to the original look of a hardtop "van" is a good thing, however it is entirely paintwork dependent as Snagger says and I just don't like the current products. They aren't convincing enough to pass as a hardtop when you see the light coming through the other side.

Add in the practicalities as said above and you have a product that doesn't do anything particularly well. This is purely an aesthetics mod and I think on a Defender that is a dangerous road to go down 

• Like 1

Interesting points raised. 

I agree it is purely aesthetics and serves no other purpose - and is very much an each to their own scenario. I like the panoramics on a 90, but I think it does not look right on a 110 (esp a SW). 

One thing that I did notice - I saw a photograph of an Original 90 with pano's sat beside a new 90 - suddenly the lineage became apparent and I could see a likeness that I had never seen before. (Although, Thats not why I am doing it... it is just something I quite fancy :) )

2 hours ago, Mean Green said:

One thing that I did notice - I saw a photograph of an Original 90 with pano's sat beside a new 90 - suddenly the lineage became apparent and I could see a likeness that I had never seen before. (Although, Thats not why I am doing it... it is just something I quite fancy :) )

Fully agree with you, I've thought exactly the same thing.

And if someone likes the look, they should absolutely do it.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the satellite delay....  The sides of the vehicle are untouched and all the original XS trim fitted back in nicely. I added some door trim found on T'internet to close the gap between glass and internal trim..

2015-06-23 19.27.17.jpg

2014-05-11 14.55.16-2.jpg

• Like 3

I think these suit nice tidy shiny Defender's, usually later model ones with metallic paint. They look somewhat out of place on older models with solid paint and steel wheels.

But agree, as it is visual. It is all down to personal preference :D

My only reservation would be if you green lane or off road. I suspect it would be very easy to crack or chip these panels doing these activities if you caught a tree/branch/rock etc. Certainly have seen scuffed and dented upper panels on vehicles before.

• Like 1

I retract the last part of what I said before, as CD says, on a later car with the right spec this is a good way to go. I do prefer it to the standard windows.

Plus I think glass is harder than paint so better at resisting bush scratches if you do go laning, but of course glass doesn't take a dent quite like Ali.

7 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

My only reservation would be if you green lane or off road. I suspect it would be very easy to crack or chip these panels doing these activities if you caught a tree/branch/rock etc. Certainly have seen scuffed and dented upper panels on vehicles before.

@V8 Freak has put a fair few scratches etc., down his vehicle whilst laning and off-roading and I don't think the glass has suffered in the slightest.