2.25 petrol poor running.

jason110

Just thought I would share what we have been up to on the old mans Land Rover. 

it is a 2.25 petrol, 3mb with a Turner 8:1 head with hardened valve seats. 

It’s not been a used a great deal over the last year so it needed a bit of TLC to get it fit again, so usual oil change, plugs, condenser and points etc, the only thing got us was a misfire at load and then twice we got caught out when hot she wouldn’t re-start. It was stinking of petrol so no spark - rechecked the points and condenser both ok. Did notice that’s the distributor vacuum advance sliding plate - whatever you call it - was stuck so that was freed up and cleaned up too  

we also found the HT lead from the coil to the distributor had a bad connection, so we put a new set of leads on. 

the carb hadn’t been looked at for well over 15 years so we stripped that down, cleaned and rebuilt it with a new spare kit including all new jets. We also pulled the sediment bowl and cleaned the gauze on that. 

Don’t know if anyone has seen this, but I couldn’t see the timing marks on the flywheel so set the distributor, so I just set it so the rotor arm is pointing at no 1 cylinder at tdc firing. I didn’t touch the collar at the base of the distributor so it’s ok and runs good 

quick tune up and she’s running well. So satisfying working on old stuff that’s easy to trouble shoot and work on. Just thought I would share in case it helps anyone else out. 

How can I add a video ? 

4D2B1D3D-D990-4F28-8086-34CDA421BD3A.jpeg

E9D7DF86-2364-4E57-A05D-0CCEF867F08F.jpeg

10A4FFBC-6ECD-49A7-8858-260662ACB960.jpeg

Edited by jason110

Good work , that looks like an early 2a or even a 2 from the bulkhead engine bay shot ? Is it still running the Solex carb? 

A few full vehicle pic's would be nice to see if possible , early Series 2/2a are such good looking Land Rovers 

Steve 

Thanks, It’s a 1966 2a. Not sure if that’s early or not to be honest. 
It’s still got the original solex, we have a Weber and did intend to swap but the solex has been fine, so haven’t seen the need  

it’s got a genuine 37000 on the clock. We had to register it with the Dvla for road use, it was used at silverstone as a fire tender, then someone bought it stripped it but never put it back together. When he bought it, it came as load of spares in boxes etc. That was 15 years ago. We have photos somewhere, but I would need to dig through a HDD. 

5FD2C994-9543-4FCC-99F2-F7A138985475.jpeg

Checked both of ours over last weekend ready for the Billing ( farm ) show in two weeks time and today i went to move mine and realised i had or thought i had a bad water leak where the landy had been parked all week but it turned out to be a fuel leak off pipe that had split, there was enough on the pipe to cut back and refit but will replace them all before we go ☹️

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jason110 said:

Thanks, It’s a 1966 2a. Not sure if that’s early or not to be honest. 
It’s still got the original solex, we have a Weber and did intend to swap but the solex has been fine, so haven’t seen the need  

it’s got a genuine 37000 on the clock. We had to register it with the Dvla for road use, it was used at silverstone as a fire tender, then someone bought it stripped it but never put it back together. When he bought it, it came as load of spares in boxes etc. That was 15 years ago. We have photos somewhere, but I would need to dig through a HDD. 

That was a good find , I'd imagine it is pretty rust free having been away from road salt for a big chunk of it's life . Very nice 88 indeed .

thanks for the pic.

Steve

1 hour ago, steve b said:

That was a good find , I'd imagine it is pretty rust free having been away from road salt for a big chunk of it's life . Very nice 88 indeed .

thanks for the pic.

Steve

Thanks Steve. 

Yes it is. We are fortunate to have a big shed to keep it in. So it’s always dry stored when not being used. 

the next project is the brothers 109 2a rebuild and the other brother whom needs took his hybrid swimming and the engine drank some river water.