Tired Of Burning Things

JeffR

Got sick of destroying stuff with a blow torch/gas axe trying to remove rusty nuts n bolts so bought one of these:20210604_123906.thumb.jpg.e8ca6fa85007e7594414f37b070b001b.jpg20210614_130323.thumb.jpg.80c45034c102c15c6fe942ab8d9f8843.jpg

well under £200 and boy does it work, hours of fun making things glow red/yellow hot.  Sold under numerous names/brands, but get direct from China (Ebay) and save a few quid

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've seen the bare board versions on eBay for around £20 but the usage guidelines seemed a tad cryptic... one day I'll grab one and give it a try.

Actually idiot (Jeff) proof.  Spent a couple of hours playing testing it in the garage.  Makes M24 nut glow red hot in a couple of minutes. It's amazing just what you can get to glow red hot ....  Just have to remember that just cos nut is not glowing red, doesn't mean its not still very hot

Paid for itself when I removed a turbo oil pipe nut off, gonna try in on rear bottom shock nuts today. 

Look for a cloud of black smoke in Northumberland.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, paime said:

@JeffR admittedly i've never met you before but i feel like you need to be chaperoned in your DIY activities given the contents of your other post! 😁

He doesn't need a chaperone....more like a safety cordon of about 100 miles. :stretcher-smiley-emoticon:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, paime said:

@JeffR admittedly i've never met you before but i feel like you need to be chaperoned in your DIY activities given the contents of your other post! 😁

Always been like this, used to be a mining engineer in another life, then spent years knocking chunks off myself fitting conveyor belts. I'm used to it. Once stitched the back of my head up using the Landrover door mirror after I took a serious tumble down a welsh (might have been scottish) mountain, its only pain at the end of the day.

8 hours ago, JeffR said:

Always been like this, used to be a mining engineer in another life, then spent years knocking chunks off myself fitting conveyor belts. I'm used to it. Once stitched the back of my head up using the Landrover door mirror after I took a serious tumble down a welsh (might have been scottish) mountain, its only pain at the end of the day.

Lol I thought I was rather tuff on that score..... but I've never even considered stitching myself up 

11 hours ago, JeffR said:

Twas necessary at the time

There are two issues with this...... you actually planed for this, by having a needle and thread in your truck.... if this was something else like a fishhook and line, I don't want to know lol

Next its a needle.... I don't know what it is about them.... they are just Eeeerrr Nope lol grinders, chainsaws, files, slashers, hell I've even managed to hook a hammer into me.... not a problem, pull it out tape it up and carry on lol a needle Oooooo.... you know the recliners that they put you in to give blood.... I warned the girl I need a bed, she told me to harden up lol.... I "flowed" out the bottom of it to the floor when I fainted 

• Haha 3

On 6/16/2021 at 9:45 PM, De Ranged said:

There are two issues with this...... you actually planed for this, by having a needle and thread in your truck.... if this was something else like a fishhook and line, I don't want to know lol

Next its a needle.... I don't know what it is about them.... they are just Eeeerrr Nope lol grinders, chainsaws, files, slashers, hell I've even managed to hook a hammer into me.... not a problem, pull it out tape it up and carry on lol a needle Oooooo.... you know the recliners that they put you in to give blood.... I warned the girl I need a bed, she told me to harden up lol.... I "flowed" out the bottom of it to the floor when I fainted 

As I used to do a hell of a lot of work "off the beaten track", I've always carried a suture kit and superglue as part of my First Aid kit. Blood and needles never bothered me, used to work as a Cardiology Tech in Freeman Hospital theatre suit, only time anything bothered me was when an amputated gangrenous limb fell through a bag onto the floor, went out like a Britpart headlamp bulb....

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

I use Vet superglue to glue myself back together, its a medical grade so can be used on humans / moi :P 

You should never use normal superglue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Oh I don't know, Poundshop superglue did a good job when I smashed my face taking a Disco 1/4 panel off using mig wire and 2 ratchets to cut the sealant (improvising again, mmmm note to oneself - there is a common theme emerging)

On 6/14/2021 at 7:22 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I mean, technically it's safer than letting you loose with a blow lamp but that's a fairly low bar... :ph34r:

Reminds me of the time I welded my steel toe capper to the chassis of a Morris Minor (NCB safety boots had external steel toe caps) - learned that it is much safer to get a jack, took ages for the toe nail to grow back