Freelander 2 buying

sotal

We've just sold one car and my wife needs a 4x4 capable of allowing her to tend to be horses. Her stables are at the bottom of a hill without a proper track so she needs something capable of driving down and having a good chance of getting back out. At the moment she walks from the nearest path. I would think that in the worst weather mid winter she would still walk. It isn't that she's lazy but often there is a lot to carry. It would also be useful to pull trailers of hay or muck about. She also needs it to be able to be comfortable to drive for an hour a day.

Anyway from looking, the best compromise on cost and ability seems to be the Freelander 2.

I've looked at a couple so far but rejected them as they were rusty in the rear arches when you opened the rear doors.

I know about looking out for the rear diff whine. Is there much else to look out for?

I'm supposed to be looking at one in the next day or so but it only has one key which puts me off a little. I'd plan on getting some kind of diagnostic machine, would that be able to code a new key?

A Freelander2 is a very capable vehicle, especially with proper tyres. If the track is anything but a proper challenge section, it should do just fine. And they're easy to live with on the road as well.

If you want the most ability for the least money, an older Range Rover (P38 or L322) or Discovery 2 would be even better. But not everyone likes driving a 'proper' 4X4 on the road every day.

Filip

50 minutes ago, Escape said:

A Freelander2 is a very capable vehicle, especially with proper tyres. If the track is anything but a proper challenge section, it should do just fine. And they're easy to live with on the road as well.

If you want the most ability for the least money, an older Range Rover (P38 or L322) or Discovery 2 would be even better. But not everyone likes driving a 'proper' 4X4 on the road every day.

Filip

The track itself is ok, but the stables are across a field. One day we might get the track extended!

At the moment the easiest way is to come off the track them drive across a field then down to the stables. No problem at all in dry weather but in the depths of winter it gets too slippery. We have an old 200tdi there that we can use and the in-laws have a couple of discovery 2s. In the worst weather none of these can get up the slope out of the stable yard, even the tractor struggles. The old 200tdi seems to do the best with diff lock on and more mud based tyres. It copes most of the time as long as it is solo, with a trailer of muck it can't get out.

Anyway as I say it will be fine in this sort of weather, and the Freelander should give the comfort for driving. We are using one of the td5 discoveries at the moment until we find a Freelander or other replacement.

I had a P38 a good few years back and said never again!

Well we bought one.

Got a 2010 XS.

All seems to work well, this one has two keys. The satnav didn't seem to work though. It just asks for the DVD but when you supply the DVD it doesn't seem to do anything, then spits it out.

The Bluetooth phone connection seemed to work fine but I couldn't find a way to play music over Bluetooth. Does it work out do you have to use the aux lead?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, sotal said:

Well we bought one.

Got a 2010 XS.

All seems to work well, this one has two keys. The satnav didn't seem to work though. It just asks for the DVD but when you supply the DVD it doesn't seem to do anything, then spits it out.

The Bluetooth phone connection seemed to work fine but I couldn't find a way to play music over Bluetooth. Does it work out do you have to use the aux lead?

Hi - I’m new to the forum, but have a bit of advice… have you tried inserting the DVD into the DVD player under the drivers’ seat?