Impending P38 M51 engine failure!

Blanco

So ...... after 18 months or so  finally went further than the local shops!, ..... Tipperary to S.E. Kent, ...... the Range Rover got us here but  also spat out 4 litres of engine oil and drank 2 litres of coolant which I reckon is slightly above average? Crankcase pressure it spitting most of it out of the dipstick vent

I knew I had a problem with No.6 , which I thougfht was probably rings but I am forced to doubt the head gasket. 

I an here for a couple of weeks and puttting out feelers in the first instance for a known good engine,.... any leads appreciated. 2.5 Diesel 2001 late model  auto if it makes any odds.

No lead... but same symptoms as I had with my M51 P38. New head didn't fix it and due to lack of time and funds (and matching orders from my wife) I sold it spares and repairs for a significant loss, without getting to the bottom of the issue.

Had planned to just replace the engine but was let down by the breakers I'd sourced one from, hence the new head.

That does not sound good... A replacement engine might be the best/easiest way to go.

We did a headgasket job on an M51 last year but not long after it suffered similar problems and spewed engine oil all over the place. He's now fitting another engine, as that turns out cheaper and easier than replacing the head etc. (especially as he still hasn't paid me for the replacement engine...)

Best of luck!

Filip

On 6/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, Bigj66 said:

I bought my V8 from Mark Skitt in Aberystwyth

Thanks, I looked at that ad but the exchange business put me off,... sourced one from near Dorking which I am going to pick up tomorrow, 127k and no exchange at £500.

I have been running around locally here in Kent with no further coolant loss and have now removed the dipstick and extended the tube with hosepipe up in an arc and down into a catch bottle. 

Remarkably it still runs sweetly enough and shows no further/additional signs of distress.

Given the sweet running I am going to try and run it gently home in stages and take the engine with me where I can deal with it properly. To that end I have acquired from a mate a Terex single drum road roller trailer which saves having it in the boot!

Hopefully leave Kent tomorrow, pick it up and get started out West on the way home.