ideal length of wheel stud? need measurements (Wolf rim/alloys)

I wonder what I have, then.  I can’t remember the part number, but they’re considerably longer than the studs that drum braked 110 Salisbury axle already had, which should have been 45mm from the above logic.  It makes sense to have 39 and 45mm variants, as that allows for the drum thickness.  Was there a special variant to allow for thicker wheels like Wolf rims on older drum braked axles, made for the first Hobson batch but then deemed unnecessary?

30 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Maybe that’s what I ended up with.  As I said, mine were about 1/2” longer than the Salisbury type, and damned expensive at £10 each!

FRC7577

https://www.lrdirect.com/FRC7577-Wheel-Stud/

@landroversforever posted a photo on page 1 with them in the top of the rim and the shorter one at bottom is the ~45mm type.

Edited by uninformed
  • Like 2

Wow - thank you for so many responses. So by the sounds of it, there already exists a perfect length stud - the 45mm version (possibly FRC6137 but to be confirmed given the discrepancies listed above).

Would be keen to ID the slightly narrower wheel nut too, just to guarantee it all fits.

Think I'm at the point where I need to start ordering some samples and measuring up (as well as confirming the length of my current studs on my 2010 90 - 39 or 45mm).

Edit: Going off the image for the genuine FRC6137s on the Britcar website, they are indeed 45mm long (total length). They also have an OEM one via Britpart for £0.42 ea (£8.40 a set!). https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/86201/371/wheel_stud_knock_through_defender_up_to_vin_ka

Edited by twodoorgaz

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Are you also buying a lottery ticket this week?

ha - yep, fair point. Probably not an area to skimp on.

Update: Just ordered a set of 20 genuine FRC6137s for £30 delivered. Got them to confirm while I was on the phone that they are indeed 45mm long (total length). All being well, my existing studs will be 39mm which will justify the swap and also hoping that if used with Alloy wheels that the new studs won't be too long. I really want the ability to be able to swap between my boost alloys and Wolf rims.

Edited by twodoorgaz

1 hour ago, twodoorgaz said:

Update: Just ordered a set of 20 genuine FRC6137s for £30 delivered. Got them to confirm while I was on the phone that they are indeed 45mm long (total length). All being well, my existing studs will be 39mm which will justify the swap and also hoping that if used with Alloy wheels that the new studs won't be too long. I really want the ability to be able to swap between my boost alloys and Wolf rims.

Have you not tried a wheel on? Or have you not got them yet? 

2 hours ago, twodoorgaz said:

Would you mind sharing a link to them at that price please? I could do with a couple of sets as well

Thanks

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Have you not tried a wheel on? Or have you not got them yet? 

Not yet - I've already bought the rims but they're at my parents place so can't try them yet.

1 hour ago, mat2495 said:

Would you mind sharing a link to them at that price please? I could do with a couple of sets as well

Thanks

Of course - I left the order details at work but will post them once I'm back at my desk.

• Like 1

Well lads, I hate to throw a spanner in the works but FRC6137 , the ~45mm studs ( some list as 44.4mm, some 46mm)  are standard in my factory genuine early 110 hubs ( pre 200Tdi, they would be 85-88 vintage) and these are too short with factory 130/Wolf rims, further more, the 300Tdi era hubs I have, have the ~40mm studs and they are just long enough for those rims.

These are definitely both genuine hubs with genuine unchanged studs in them. Early 110 hubs wheel studs measure 44.4mm overall, 300Tdi hubs wheel studs measure 40.5mm overall. 

now if you have 300Tdi era hubs and you install FRC6137 you will get a wheel stud stick out increase of ~4mm

First pic is the early 110 hub (1988 or earlier) with the LONGER FRC6137 stud, and it’s SHORT in the nut with 130/Wolf rims.

EEA189A8-9947-4C23-A9C4-A3E5BA5D06AA.jpeg

2nd pic is the later 300Tdi era hub with SHORTER ~40mm studs yet they have more stick out and just long enough for the 130/Wolf rim.

101F3818-D9BB-488D-8B7B-1C429A3564B0.jpeg

3rd pic - I just knocked these out of the above hubs. ~40mm stud at top from 300Tdi era hub, 44.4mm stud at bottom out of the early 110 hub.

9FC9B364-489E-40A6-B88E-A49B1FB8A6DF.jpeg

Edited by uninformed

Reckon I have the FRC6137 45mm studs on my 110 & Wolf wheels then. so the protrusion difference is down to the difference in hub thickness.

have you tried a FRC6137 stud in the later 300Tdi hub ?  just wondering if it will fit snug & let the wheel & nut look better. 

32 minutes ago, western said:

Reckon I have the FRC6137 45mm studs on my 110 & Wolf wheels then. so the protrusion difference is down to the difference in hub thickness.

have you tried a FRC6137 stud in the later 300Tdi hub ?  just wondering if it will fit snug & let the wheel & nut look better. 

Yes the hub thickness was always a known quantity, but unfortunately I was given miss information regarding the stud lengths being the same. It now confirms that FRC6137 is the correct part number for the 44.4mm wheel studs and that part number correct for early 110s

36 minutes ago, western said:

…..

Here you (all) go…

Early 110 wheel stud FRC6137 installed in a 300Tdi hub

3AEA4E0A-7BAE-439C-9FD0-4EBA92A7B327.jpeg

showing inner side wheel stud seating 

4C5B8E3C-DBA0-4724-93BB-DD973123335E.jpeg

showing inner side standard 300Tdi wheel stud seating 

113FCD71-F32F-4164-B812-31D2C2A083AF.jpeg

early 110 wheel stud in later 300Tdi hub with factory 130/Wolf rim and wheel nut seated. 

8C1BB466-156B-4E56-8FD7-1E35A406C26B.jpeg

Edited by uninformed

Ah, thought the plain shank at the head end would protrude through the thinner hub face, but as the thicker wheel is at that area the plain shank shouldn't cause any problems,  the head seating in back face looks the same, & a bit of thread through the nut. 

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

That's very strange! The original studs in my front axle (1984 axle) were not long enough to come all the way through the nuts, but swapping them for FRC6137 they are by a thread or two. They're the correct part number for my early Disco rear axle too which is what I've got on the rear.

Only way to know would be to knock one of the new ones out, measure it. And to compare your hub with mine 🤷🏻‍♂️

@landroversforever I don’t doubt what you are saying as far as what your photos represent. But the only way to be sure is to check measure the variables 

original wheel studs

your new wheel studs

and the hub itself. 

there is clearly something different going on between yours and mine. It’s “probably” the hubs, but a small chance it’s different wheel studs

Way too much miss information on the web and that is driven by assumptions among other things.

Its totally up to you whether you can be bothered going through the exercise, it was easy for me as I had the parts in my parts bin. 

Edited by uninformed

They're some incredibly helpful posts there - thanks for sharing.

So we know a 300TDi hub with the earlier FRC6137 studs are a perfect fit for wolf rims.

Mine is a 2010 2.4 TDCI 90 - so the X-factor is whether the hubs are a similar thickness to a 300TDI set. My studs are on their way, so guess the proof of the pudding is in fitting them.

Just checked now I'm back at my desk and I got mine (Genuine LR) from PA Blanchard for 95p + P&P/VAT : here's the link. They also sell pattern ones for 25p each.