Elecric fans on a Tdi?

GBMUD

I am a yorkshireman and as such refuse to pay for a proper electric fan :lol:

I nipped down to the scrappy, took this off a MEGANE and gve them £3 for it,

drilled one hole for the top hose and two for some cables ties at the top, it fits in the slots at the bottom.

Its only wired on/off but it spins hellishley fast and moves volumes, off roading at full chat with a knackered rad the gauge never goes above 1/2 way.

stuff035.jpg

nice and thin too

ooh002.jpg

The Megane fan looks like just the job! I will keep an eye open for one. Thanks. :)

Chris

Another idea.. how about a A/C clutch in place of the viscous coupling? and an X-Eng fan switch thingy controlling it with an override for water crossings :)

That has been looked into by far greater brains than I - and rejected as being too complicated. I like the idea though and if one were available I would be very keen. The X-fan switch with an over-ride is what I have in mind for control. :)

Chris

Makes working on the PS pump, alternator, etc a doddle. I'm looking forward to doing the tappets next time, sat on the radiator.

removing the fan takes 60 seconds (two nuts), and makes cleaning the radiator an easy job, you can see the rad easily, i just use a hose pipe to flush it until the water runs clear.

You can just see the X-eng 'stat housing in the bottom hose, the relays sit in a box next to the header tank.

Well I have my viscous and stick with it. On both installations i see in the picture I can see a problem: you are not cooling the intercooler. This is ok for road use, where you carry a bit of speed, but offroad you might as well ditch the intercooler. at least with the viscous, the shroud makes it work through the rad and the intercooler.

Daan

Do you really use FULL power for extended periods at low speed? For short periods the cooler will act as a thermal mass and absorb the high temperatures (and put the heat back into the intake flow when it cools down again, as well as into the cooling flow!). I admit, for longer durations the cooler will heat-soak, but I've generally found if I use full power for a long time at low speed, I'm either wasting my time or the low speed has become high speed by the time I've finished :)

Remember that there's a current draw (and power cost) to running a fan - will you make that back in increased power?

Do you really use FULL power for extended periods at low speed? For short periods the cooler will act as a thermal mass and absorb the high temperatures (and put the heat back into the intake flow when it cools down again, as well as into the cooling flow!). I admit, for longer durations the cooler will heat-soak, but I've generally found if I use full power for a long time at low speed, I'm either wasting my time or the low speed has become high speed by the time I've finished :)

Remember that there's a current draw (and power cost) to running a fan - will you make that back in increased power?

Yes, If you are offroad all day (like you are in Challenge events) the powerdraw of your fan (electric or viscous)means nothing compared to the difference between hot or cold intake air.

Daan

I am on the look out for a full width intercooler so hopefully onece that is fitted the fan will cool that aswell. Thanks about the micra fans might have a look for them anyway wen i'm next down the scrappy.

There's a good article on twin fans at:

http://www.juracid.demon.co.uk/lr/twin_fans.html

X-Eng do a great adaptor for an Intermotor thermostat. I've just received one and am sorting the final wiring for a twin speed set up using a single fan. I've got the fan from a Vauxhall Astra (I think it was, but no idea of the year), complete with the resistance and relays that allow slow speed when the resistance is in series with the fan and high speed when the fan receives a full 12 volt. I'll be using an Intermotor 50091 stat which has two switches that operate at 88 - 83 Deg. C and 92 - 87 Deg. C.

The fan is about 15" diameter, and has mounted nicely inside the original cowl on my 300 Tdi 11 Def using small angle brackets. A small annular space was easily blocked with ali sheet.

I've also got a single fan of the A/C type set up to push air through the intercooler. I had to make a custom cowl for this, and it will run whenever the ignition is on, but with a master isolating switch. I'm doing the leccy bits the same time as my rad fan, but when it's all done I'll let you know how well it works.

Mike