Discovery 4 bike rack - options?

lansalot

Afternoon all

Disco 4 towing a Buccanneer caravan, and the kids are now of an age where they're wanting to take their bikes when we go away (as are we). Their will fit in the boot, but ours... not so much. Not really wanting to go down the caravan-rear route, obviously the towbar is out, so was thinking perhaps either caravan A-frame or roof? The disco has the factory roof rails, but no cross bars. The LR website is of course next to useless, and all the usual suspects not really giving me much confidence in which kit might be suitable.

Who's done this before, any pictures, did you find the A-frame option limited your turning radius at all, or was it a big struggle getting a mountain bike on the roof? I'm 6 ft and I've an aluminium platform that adds around 50cm so I think lifting it on top won't be too risky to paintwork, but really looking for some suggestions here. Thanks !

Edited by lansalot

Would one of the many rear-door mounted bike racks do the job?  Even Halfords sell them - might be worth a look in the flesh even if just for ideas.

I've seen ones with rubber suckers plus straps to hold on to van doors - again might be an option?

Si

I didn't want to say that as to a non caravaner like me that is the obvious solution but to a caravaner maybe its not a good solution at all?

Maybe it is like bringing outside shoes into the house, some do others don't?