Good Green Lanes in Wales

diamondgeezer

Hi there all,

I am getting itchy feet in between challenges and am looking to get a posse together to attack some good green lanes around west mids or Wales area. Anyone know any good uns that havent been resurfaced recently?

I have heard the strata florida in Rhyader is good but my friend who told me this hasnt been there for a year or 2 so it could have all changed.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Luke

?

I have heard the strata florida in Rhyader is good but my friend who told me this hasnt been there for a year or 2 so it could have all changed.

Hi Luke

Last time I drove Starta Florida it was an easy enough drive - in a Defender. You should be able to get any Standard Defender along there without too much trouble. Be aware though that in very wet weather the river gets VERY deep and fast flowing. I have seen cars washed away in the river and overturned. There are videos somewhere, try the video shack forum... You have been warned.

I know of a number of other UCRs and BOATs in that area too but remember that all the RUPPs have been re-classified as Restricted Byways and that you cannot drive a motor car along them. Lots of the UCRs NorthWest of Devil's Bridge are very nice characterful lanes, almost undriven in many cases.

Chris

Strata Florida had some nasty damage done to it last year by people driving off the right of way.

I haven't driven it for 6 months or so but it was a fine and pleasant drive then. I would definately heed the advice about driving it after heavy rain, those fierce currents push you into some heafty boulders....

Hi there all,

I am getting itchy feet in between challenges and am looking to get a posse together to attack some good green lanes around west mids or Wales area. Anyone know any good uns that havent been resurfaced recently?

Any suggestions would be great

DiamondG, I know lots of trails in Wales, some passable by 4x4, some not.

A decent area is, say from Newtown heading North, all the way to the North Wales coast.

But recent heavy winds have blocked may of these routes with fallen trees and i think the County Councils will take months to clear these routes.

If you still fancy getting a posse together to attack some lanes, take some tree cutting tools with you and attack some of the blocked routes. It may take you some time so best of luck.

Oh and be careful on Strata Florida as the water level can rise whilst your have way along the route, strong currents have caused the end for many a truck.

T.