Cooking

Can I ask what people use and recommend for stoves and cookware?  I need to upscale to some more family friendly set up for in the back of the Land Rover and would welcome any input people have.

On the cookware - I’m reading endless reviews that all seem to point at different products. Something that packs down well would be good and we are going to need pans, plates/bowls, cutlery and a kettle.

On the kettle thing - I did quite fancy a Kelly kettle, I’d enjoy a fire and the base camp edition has quite a lot of stuff in it ….. but I’m not sure how it compares to the convenience of a gas stove. If we want to stop for lunch and then move on again, I’d imagine finding fuel to get it going and then getting it to cool down might be a bit of an undertaking - compared to turning the gas on and making a quick sausage sandwich. 

Trangia T25 (The larger one) with a gas burner. Look Here...

A kelly is great fun, but finding fuel can be difficult, especially if you're in a hurry. I've never found the cool down period to be a problem. Generally they're only useful for boiling water, a bit of a one trick pony.

HTH

• Thanks 1

We have used a Trangia for years and years and years. In fact I bought it as a meths burner when I was in my teens and later I bought the gas burner to retro-fit.

Only recently we started to use a double burner gas stove with a hinged lid. This is so that when we aren't outside with the bbq we can cook more complex stuff than on a single.

We run off 907 gaz cylinders as they are available on continental Europe but it's an expensive gas to buy in the UK. I have bought a few empties for about £5 each. Some have the carry handle or you can buy replacements for under £4. They have to have the handle fitted when you exchange for a full one.

Other people swear by the Coleman double burner petrol pressure stove but I don't want to use in a confined space. On a longer trip though I think we might need to go that way.

Depends on the type of cooking you want to do. I've got the small Cadac safari chef, the previous version of this one: Cadac Safari Chef 30 Lite HP Gas BBQ

It's about a foot across at the burner (which doesn't match up with the size of the one above). I've cooked on it for 4 people. Obviously its only any good for single pan food, not so great in wind unless you've got a windbreak round it. I made an adaptor to take the paella pan off the next size up which works well. Also worth adding that the above one now only seems to run off the little gas screw on cans. Mine will run them or a proper one depending on what adaptor I screw in. 

I then use a Jetboil for water usually. 

43 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

We have used a Trangia for years and years and years. In fact I bought it as a meths burner when I was in my teens and later I bought the gas burner to retro-fit.

Out of interest Tim, how do you find the gas conversion? All our scout ones are still on meths as I've never found the gas ones to run as reliably. Especially when the temps drop. 

I'd say this depends entirely on what sort of setup you want and where you're going - the cheapy cheapy cartridge gas stoves are everywhere so an easy cheap and almost disposable option within most of Europe and a lot of other places besides.

On the camper we have a small Calor gas bottle plumbed in and a 2-burner camping stove on quick-release connection, 4.5kg bottle tucks under the chassis and lasts for months of use.

Previously for more basic camping I quite liked my Coleman multi-fuel stove as it meant I could burn petrol or diesel or other fuels, so never without fuel if I was with a vehicle.

I have a natural distrust of any stove that requires its own special gas canisters or fuels as you know one day that is going to bite you, or at the very least cost you heaps more than it should.

8 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Out of interest Tim, how do you find the gas conversion? All our scout ones are still on meths as I've never found the gas ones to run as reliably. Especially when the temps drop. 

It's been perfect and has been in use for years. I bought the original stove in about 1974 (yes I know) and must have had the gas burner for it for twenty years at least.

We have cooked on it a lot, particularly when in areas where charcoal bbq are not allowed - Portugal a few years ago had a total ban on personal bbqs. Two pan cooking over one ring can be done and we also splashed-out and bought a kettle for it.

6 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

On the camper we have a small Calor gas bottle plumbed in and a 2-burner camping stove on quick-release connection, 4.5kg bottle tucks under the chassis and lasts for months of use.

I think this is the way to go - been thinking about it for a while. There's perhaps a bit more room under the ambulance? I think mine would need to mount next to the back door.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Glue said:

A kelly is great fun, but finding fuel can be difficult, especially if you're in a hurry. I've never found the cool down period to be a problem. Generally they're only useful for boiling water, a bit of a one trick pony.

I find the Kelly is as you mentioned great fun, have never had issues finding fuel even in the wet, I bought the pans with mine, bit primitive but you can knock up a decent meal with a bit of imagination, pour the water out and it cools very fast regards Stephen

We tend to use a coleman dual burner cooker most of the time, it's certainly not backpack size but the convenience of being able to run it on petrol or aspen is convenient and then a Jetboil for hot drinks as it's quick to use and quick to cool down again before setting off. For longer trips we also take a fire pit which has a collapsable tripod and a bbq grill suspended from it which with the fire being off the ground, camp sites don't seem to mind.

We use a seers petrol cooker ( or Coleman as they’re known this side of the pond ), a primus lite for the water boiling and a msr spider when using the gas canisters 

we did have a gas job but switched to petrol as it’s universally available wherever you are in the world

Oh well, just to be different, Until I had to stop camping. I used a Bush Pig for 90% of cooking. For easynes we, notice the WE, used a Trangia, moved on from meths to the liquid stuff used in some garden heaters

Loads of info shared here - thank you everyone. 

i was looking at this kind of thing for a stove:  

https://www.cadacinternational.com/2-cook-pro-deluxe/

Pro’s would seem to be two burners so we aren’t trying to feed 3 people from one pot. It has its own ignition, so we can just open it and go. Plus it will take a decent sized canister and hopefullly burn cleanly?, lastly I’m thinking the lid will work as a wind break.  It’s quite expensive though and quite big …. 

Cookware wise I hadn’t thought of the Trangia stuff … I’ll look more closely at that.

This looked good value and well reviewed:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hiker-s-camp-mh500-stainless-anti-stick-coating-2-people-2-1l/_/R-p-174678?mc=8492728&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=SurfacesForGoogle&utm_content=8492728-2558437&iv_=__iv_p_1_g_64518333258_c_316344235439_w_pla-329717981462_n_g_d_m_v__l__t__r_x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_8492728-2558437_z_GB_i_en_j_329717981462_s__e__h_9046573_ii__vi__&gclid=CjwKCAjwz_WGBhA1EiwAUAxIcfeIoSo8u9Zv43LMJYxbz741QEqtEoV7Bb6rFbQaxqS6_wDb-ICMLxoC1GAQAvD_BwE

I’m not sure how nice the bowls and the mugs would be to use - but non of the reviews seem to call that out as a problem, and for stainless and at that price - it seems very good. The absence of lids isn’t great though. 

23 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Can I ask what people use and recommend for stoves and cookware?  I need to upscale to some more family friendly set up for in the back of the Land Rover and would welcome any input people have.

On the cookware - I’m reading endless reviews that all seem to point at different products. Something that packs down well would be good and we are going to need pans, plates/bowls, cutlery and a kettle.

On the kettle thing - I did quite fancy a Kelly kettle, I’d enjoy a fire and the base camp edition has quite a lot of stuff in it ….. but I’m not sure how it compares to the convenience of a gas stove. If we want to stop for lunch and then move on again, I’d imagine finding fuel to get it going and then getting it to cool down might be a bit of an undertaking - compared to turning the gas on and making a quick sausage sandwich. 

Although I answered I didn't pay much attention to your opening post, but that's just my ability to have the attention span of a gnat at times!

If I were you in this situation ( which I have ) I would start with something very simple.  Grab 2 pans from the kitchen that you ( or the other half ) always uses, that's a basis to what size you want, usually a 9" and a 13" pan is more than enough and stick them in the truck. Once you, or your other half, realise you can't live without them pans in the house, buy some new ones to replace them as old pans are great for the back of the truck and camping :D

Now you know what sizes work for you, then look for a 2 gas burner and tbh anyone will do. They all do pretty much the same job of taking gas from a bottle and feeding it though a burner, but the size of the cooker will make the ability to use both pans, or a frying pan and small pan, easier so that's what I'd be looking for.  Obviously don't buy something from Wish.com for £12, spend a little but after £50 or so they all do the same thing ( look for adjustments on the flame if possible on reviews, there are some proper connoisseurs of chef camping who like to waffle on about flame adjustments ;) )

As for quick cuppas, you can't go wrong with a Primus Lite or Jetboil type gas burner.  They all fit inside the ' cup ' and are a doddle to use as well as boiling 500ml of water in under 3 minutes give or take depending on altitude and outside temperatures ( not that I think it'll be an issue for you in this scenario ). They can run on 100ml gas canisters which will last for 30-40 500ml boil ups.

As for a Kelly kettle, it's a great idea and worth it.  I found an old whistling kettle in a charity shop for £2 and I chuck that on a fire.  It's still working several years later and has served us proud even if it is a little black, but makes a banging hot chocolate :D

If you want compact bijou fold up shiny camping gear then go with whatever looks good to you, again they all do the same thing of keeping food in one place and stop the peas escaping or the alcohol in a container until you can drink it.  

Let us know how you get on :D

• Like 2

Several setups

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895048/campingaz-camp-bistro-2-portable-gas-stove-15895048/?istCompanyId=c2ec8a5d-93c1-4850-a97a-f4d89d7c99c8&istFeedId=2755fba0-7dfe-46a9-bfd0-09b37aed8b93&istItemId=iiiqlilrt&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk-fPuLrC8QIVirh3Ch2wgQrsEAQYAiABEgJ0EPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

when you need something for a cuppa or a quick meal. The butane refils are cheap and plentiful. (aldi/lidl/supermarkets). No mess no faff.

For an upgrade especially if you have petrol cans

coleman sportster 533 (petrol) and a 5 or 10L petrol jerrycan. A full tank on the stove will typically last 2 days or so. Blow moulded case is useful. Will fit in the undeseat box of the 110then for family camping or extended stays the coleman 424 stove (petrol again). 1 main burner and 1 simmer/keepwarm. lid and sides are windshields. The tank/pressure assembly removes to refill.

once your hooked, the the coleman 282 or 285 lanterns are brilliant additions (no pun). The petrol vs calor gas is available anywhere, spares (washers/mantles) are plentiful and can be kept in a plastic tub.

Pete

• Thanks 1

I've got 2 £10 gas canister burners. Used every camping trip for the last 15 years. Canisters are cheap as chips.

Just changed my old nesting aluminium pans of the same vintage for some cheap shiny Teflon ones.

Alpkit brukit for fast water or baked bean boiling. The brukit comes with a pan stand included in the price as well.

Cheap reliable and the whole lot for less than a fancy branded burner. 👍

Mo

• Like 1

I've gone through a bunch of different cookers/burners, nowadays I just use a camping gaz 907 bottle with the camping gaz burner attachment screwed on - stable, plenty of heat, cheap, takes up little space, lasts ages, very portable.   Surprising what you can do with one good burner. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Coleman dual fuel stove a pressure stove? I presume it is, running on petrol and ???

Do you advocates use it inside the vehicle or only outside? The only pressure stove I’ve used is the old paraffin ones that use meths to preheat and used to flare-up. How do you do that on the Coleman? Is it a faff first thing when you want a quick cuppa or do you use a jetboil instead?

Yes it is a pressure petrol stove, yes it does flare up a bit of lighting and no I don't use it in the truck but on the shelf on the back door. I have a little gas stove for quick cuppa's but tend to use the colman on overnight trips.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 5:52 PM, landroversforever said:

I rate the Cadac stuff highly, although not tried that particular one. Got several of the large version of my post above in the family after I bought mine. Mines at least 10 years old now.

We have the Cadac Carri chef 2 which is bigger and obviously takes up a bit more space. Takes 2 mins to assemble and is very flexible with the different cooking grills. It cooks really evenly - much better than my expensive Outback BBQ which is annoying!! We run it from a standard butane bottle with regulator, think it is a 7kg bottle.

We have recently been on a trip with 15 people doing bacon rolls in the morning and then a BBQ at night each day for everyone and it was brilliant. We have even bought the pizza stone for it and cooked perfect pizza for a group of 6. 

• Like 1