300tdi wipers permanently on

Jim Mason

Hi there,

Strange problem recently occured.

Not used Landy (Disco 1 - 300 Tdi) as frequently as before lockdown.

Now second ignition is switched on wipers instantly start independant of switch position.

Relay is functional, feel it switching positions, rain stopped play so not checked beleive i must have perminant supply now to relay.

Speed settings are functional, has switch failed?

Haynes manual not very clear, does anyone have a clear drawing or some pointers on where to look for the fault.

Trying not to rip the dash etc to pieces.

Its not impossible for the wiper switch position to be faulty with the contact stuck in a made position, so further investigation with a multi meter is required. 
Below is a diagram taking from LRs electrical workshop manual for the D1, which is available on-line.

1DF7A442-7B66-4F32-9E38-404394FBC053.jpeg

Found the manual, easy enough to find which is quote surprising.

So puzzled now it appears the MFU is bringing in the relay as i can feel it switching.

But why, unsure why as i see one side of the coil is 12v permenant supply other side is via a NPN & MFU.

So whats putting this on initially?

Lots to think about, weekend job to get head round it.

There is quite a bit documented regarding MFU failure, this could be a symptom of, if be tempted to get that pulled and have a look inside it.

I repaired a couple of them amd swapped them quite a lot to cure a multitude of problems.

On 7/7/2021 at 4:42 AM, Jim Mason said:

Found the manual, easy enough to find which is quote surprising.

So puzzled now it appears the MFU is bringing in the relay as i can feel it switching.

But why, unsure why as i see one side of the coil is 12v permenant supply other side is via a NPN & MFU.

So whats putting this on initially?

Lots to think about, weekend job to get head round it.

The part the MFU plays is the intermittent wiper delay timing but only when that function is switched on. Plus theres few other things like the headlamp washer operation sequence and interior lighting delay.

Any faults will identify as the one or more of the items shown in the diagnostic list that isn’t functioning. Also maybe the red illumination around the ignition switch isn’t there.

The mfu is at the rear of the fuse board, two fiddly screws, iirc, to remove the board then unplug a lead or two and turn the board to reveal the mfu, there’s enough slack in the loom to do that, then remove the lead from the mfu and pull it to unplug. 
It was way back in 2011 when I had to replace my  faulty mfu.

12 hours ago, Jim Mason said:

Getting no response out of the MFU when i try & perform the diagnistic test.

Following the procedure it should go straight into the diagnostic function, very strange when things start working on their own.

MFU's where prone to having "dry" soldered joints,  as well as susceptible to moisture which corrodes the boards. I successfully repaired one MFU by going over the joints with a soldering iron, became a small past time picking them up at landy shows at one point before I found one that all the functions still worked! A bit hit or miss, but I didn't have time to spend going through the whole board trying to find the problems. 

Trying to find one at a suitable price is the challenge, most want between £60 & £70.

Think i might have found one for £20, but will only know when it arrives.

£60 for a second hand one in an unkown condition is toi much of a gamble for me.

So the image i shared is the correct unit.

Screenshot_20210711-085035_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jim Mason

That's not the part you're looking for (in my best Alec Guinness impression).  The MFU is more of a "black box" (or beige), but what I mean is it is a closed unit with nothing visible but the connector for a cable.  It is mounted on the back of the fuse tray, so you might get lucky!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264993894023?epid=649406371&hash=item3db2ddee87:g:rKIAAOSwcJhf61k9

• western changed the title to 300tdi wipers permanently on
  • 2 months later...