Bulkhead

Yup. A lot of modern cars are Zintec or similar these days, so most paintshops will be quite familiar with painting zinc.

They'll need to use an etch primer and then the colour.

Mine was done about 10/11 years ago now and looks as good as day 1 - Portofino Red.

Doing another one just now that's a 'Heritage green'. 

I've seen one person leave it bare galv though - on here I think - looks qute nice!

My bulkhead is in bare galv, had my original one galvanised back in 2013 and left it bare as I liked the contrast (goes with the galv bumper, capping, spare wheel carrier, bumperettes etc). Funnily enough I am not a fan of a bare galv chassis so I prepped and painted mine with Frosts Extreme Chassis Black (satin).

The only thing I would warn of is that galvanising can leave an uneven surface, moreso if it has runs in it. With a bare finish this doesn't matter in the slightest but if you are having the bulkhead painted it would need to be flat otherwise the finish will look very poor. If they have to take off high spots will they have removed the galv in that area completely?

DSCF0021 (2)_LI.jpg

I galvanised and painted mine back in 2019 myself. As litch says you do get a bit of a rough finish from the galvy, but a gentle flat back - t wash then a decent hi build primer covers up a lot of this, I find the bulkhead occupies such a relativity small overall exterior body area, unless you're going for showroom paint,  you'll never look twice at it. 

13 hours ago, Litch said:

and left it bare as I liked the contrast

exactly the reason why I left my chassis galvanised and didn't paint it.Looks pretty good on my Oneten. First time I saw a bulkhead in this way and I didn't ever think about that. Was a very good inspiration. Thanks for the pic.