Fridges

52 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

The settling bit of a fridge I’ve always wondered about, given that as far as I know the internals of a 12/240v compressor fridge have the same make up? :unsure: 

On paper so do a BMW X5 and a Range Rover but I know which one is actually built for the job...

Compressors in fridges sit on three springs in an oil bath to isolate them from noise - if you jiggle a domestic one about you can hear the motor clonk the inside of the housing, I'm assuming travel fridges are built with the expectation of a lot more jiggling & bumping & leaning...

We have used various cool boxes over the years and most recently had a Waeco Tropicool coolbox which was ok, managing a creditable cool-down until very high ambient temperatures were encountered. Then it just went nuts and was on all the time (not unexpected) and drained the battery.

We eventually splashed the cash on a compressor fridge that we run off 12V with a solar panel and it has been the best thing we have ever bought for camping. It’s a Dometic CFX 35 chest fridge. I was going to say it is reasonably cheap, well it was a few years ago. I checked the prices now and it isn’t. It’s a great solution but pricey if it’s just a few beers that need cooling. 

I'm just about to invest in a Dellonda C15. It's one of the generic fridges made by one of the big manufacturers. Low electrical consumption. Reasonably robust. Heavily discounted...and 60litres.

I rarely go to 'kitted out' campsites anymore - preferring places like Nash Oaklands. I also go for longer periods, with the kids. My threeway fridge is getting very tired and gas is becoming an utter pain to get (in wallet and in practicality)

Well a Dellonda/Alpicool/Mobicool looks like the winner for me in 60L size. Wish I had bought one of those originally as the price is not dissimilar to the Thermoelectric I had which was useless

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Wish I had bought one of those originally as the price is not dissimilar to the Thermoelectric I had

Price has dropped quite significantly in the last 2 years or so.

• Like 1

Yup, the Alpicool one has as well -though now I look, the Dellonda doesn't, though physically identical, perhaps they are just waiting for an 'app' to appear(there is a reply in the comments to that alludes to one).

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Yup, the Alpicool one has as well -though now I look, the Dellonda doesn't, though physically identical, perhaps they are just waiting for an 'app' to appear(there is a reply in the comments to that alludes to one).

To be fair, i'm not that fussed....😀

3 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

To be fair, i'm not that fussed....😀

Yeah I wasn't either to be honest.... but while stress testing the solar/battery system I can check the fridge is working in the camper from my living room -same goes for the MPPT charge controller. :)

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 11:49 AM, tommobot said:

I went to have a look at this in store. My knowledge of fridges isn't great at all... But an obvious flaw was it had no strapping handle... Could of wrapped a rachet around it but not quite the same..

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

I didn't buy the Dellonda 60litre. I bought an Alpicool 45 instead.

That was the one I bought first, then opted for the T60, with separate freezer, time will tell if I made the right decision.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

That was the one I bought first, then opted for the T60, with separate freezer, time will tell if I made the right decision.

I did some fridge assessing this weekend

• Like 1

You guys seem to have big fridges.

This is our 35litre ‘live’. Ok I should squeeze another couple of beers in there but it’s fairly spacious and takes up some space in our 110.

Next to the 2 x 2 litre of milk is a big pack of chicken, a large red pepper and other salad stuff.

F5E7FFCB-7D93-497F-BC3A-F07B1493D227.thumb.jpeg.db8a6e0f4d9e6fa8d0f84ac2edd68133.jpeg

9DEDC215-7675-4ED0-AD39-D815F01A49BE.thumb.jpeg.0ed61ff4feea21db54155a8d6485416f.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm noticing this bit

"Once the power reaches the battery protection low-level setting, it automatically stops cooling"

Our compressor fridge box is the same, and the battery protection voltage seems to be set so that as soon as the engine is off and the battery stops receiving charge the fridge powers off. I have not found a way the adjust this threshold, making it impossible to just run it off a freestanding leisure battery.

I dont know about the cheaper options but the national luna will let you select settings for how low it will run the battery - you can leave it to drain completely if you really want to or set it to turn off before you reach a charge level that wont start the car. 

14 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I dont know about the cheaper options but the national luna will let you select settings for how low it will run the battery - you can leave it to drain completely if you really want to or set it to turn off before you reach a charge level that wont start the car. 

Same for my Waeco, I think 3 selectable levels or a run-it-til-its-dead option.

Yep, my Alpicool has low medium high settings, low is 9V, of course this refers to the onload voltage which is quite a bit lower than float.

Also worth noting, in tests, the cheap compressor fridges, without a branded compressor, they used 50-100% more power than a danfoss/lg branded compressor.

• Like 1