Fridges

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

I'm really pleased with the Alpicool. It does what it says on the tin.  I've been very sad and downloaded the app, so I can check up on it

Think this is what I am going to buy. Do you have a link to the model you have please?

And this is mine, dual zone:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpicool-Freezer-Portable-Refrigerator-Electric/dp/B091KXZZ6Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1U55KLNHDD6G4&keywords=alpicool+t60&qid=1652894738&sprefix=alpicool%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-3

I had the one Nonimouse has now, but thought twice and went for the twin zone slightly bigger one, so I can have plenty of BBQ meat in the freezer, and bring home local ice cream and other local goods when I've been away on hols.

Mine has a 12v socket in the back fed from the aux battery.

When I originally got it though we went touring round France for two weeks before I had time to install extra batteries etc. I made an extension to run to the front of the car and the 12v sockets there so it was powered off of the starter battery. I think we ran it for four days without starting the car and the battery still fired the engine up first turn of the key.

I had slung a spare fully charged 12v battery in the back just in case but I didnt need it. I have one of those USB jump packs now for the just in case occasions.

• Like 1

The alpicool comes with a cigar lighter plug on a long lead, I fitted a new socket in my camper where I wanted to use it. 

It's only 60W when running, so the socket is only running about 50% of capacity. 

The 45 is £240 on amazon currently (with voucher), the 60 £310. I have gone for the 55 which is the bigger brother of the 45 without wheel like the 60 that I don't need. That is currently £260 with the voucher

The way I will use it in 90% of cases is to fill it with food whilst running on 240v at home and get it down to temperature, 12v off a socket in the back of the 90 on the trip to camping and then straight back to 240v. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify  there are two version of the CF range, one with an LG compressor, and one not. Depending on your power setup the choice of compressor is possibly important. I think the LG version is about £30 more.

If you are running on 240 when camped, then obviously that's fine :)

The T60 was £310 last night, but there was a £30 voucher, making it £280. The T range all have LG compressors.

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Just to clarify  there are two version of the CF range, one with an LG compressor, and one not. Depending on your power setup the choice of compressor is possibly important. I think the LG version is about £30 more.

If you are running on 240 when camped, then obviously that's fine :)

The T60 was £310 last night, but there was a £30 voucher, making it £280. The T range all have LG compressors.

Probably does not matter but that is annoying, there is nothing whatsoever on the Amazon listings I have looked at to indicate one has a different spec compressor from the other? If the CF

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpicool-Refrigerator-Portable-Campervan-Electric/dp/B091KYMC5G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=126874395064&gclid=Cj0KCQjwspKUBhCvARIsAB2IYuuupA7MiN9KaKUUvzpeO3QqPwQKTmNknPcZQEEB3Xsjl-rzDeICEFwaAl5-EALw_wcB&hvadid=510026603925&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9041126&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=961074662370939413&hvtargid=kwd-930264628201&hydadcr=7036_1761131&keywords=alpicool%2B45l&qid=1652882253&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNjJEWFhBQzFLTTcwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjg3NzM0MktNNEgzTlFGTUtYUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjE3ODY0MTkyWEJLN0hUVlM3WSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

The link here shared by Nonimouse has both the CF45 version he has and the CF55 I have orded.....no way of telling if the compressor is different

3 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Probably does not matter but that is annoying, there is nothing whatsoever on the Amazon listings I have looked at to indicate one has a different spec compressor from the other?

Ah, it seems the LG version is out of stock, no doubt due to the global shipping market issues:

Alpicool CF45 Car Refrigerator, 45L Portable Mini Freezer 12v Campervan Car Fridge Boat DC Electric Cooler for Camping, Driving, Boat, Picnic : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

The difference is shown by the sticker, and the small price hike.

Either that or I suppose it is possible they have now switched over to LG for all of them???

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Ah, it seems the LG version is out of stock, no doubt due to the global shipping market issues:

Alpicool CF45 Car Refrigerator, 45L Portable Mini Freezer 12v Campervan Car Fridge Boat DC Electric Cooler for Camping, Driving, Boat, Picnic : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

The difference is shown by the sticker, and the small price hike.

Either that or I suppose it is possible they have now switched over to LG for all of them???

Ah I see. I found elsewhere that the other compressor comes with a 3 year warranty. The power consumption is much less important for me so hopefully it will do what I want

• Like 1

Just now, L19MUD said:

hopefully it will do what I want

No doubt, makes a huge difference having cold stuff on hand without having to worry about gas running out (which is what I moved from).

FWIW, I think the CF range is possibly slightly better made -the lid for example snaps down nicely with a proper clip holding it shut, the T series lid is more lightweight and relies on just a couple of tangs. The rest of the fridge is almost identical in build, same plastics and most likely same insulation.

• Like 1

My Dometic CFX35 ‘Coolfridge’ pictured earlier in the thread, is working hard. It’s very hot here in Andalucia, >30C for a few days but it is performing well.

It’s the best camping accessory / upgrade we have ever bought, transforming warm weather camping. 

Edit: it’s been in for five or six years. Wired to the Aux battery  and solar panel controller, through a distribution fuse box and on a flying lead with cig lighter connector (with 20A fuse) that seems to be high quality. 

DCE3BA71-4A11-413D-A358-932814F36B0F.jpeg

• Like 2

So, after adding 4 litres of water to the fridge, it used nothing more I could consider being significant, it was ~420Wh, which was the same as on the previous two days.

Make of that what you will, but maybe it means chilling beer is free? 

One can hope.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've manged to get hold of an Alpicool CF45 with the LG compressor, happy with it so far.

Its been running 24/7 for just over a week via a 150w solar panel and a 85ah lesiure battety without issue and without starting the car at all which I was very impressed with!

At the moment I'm not using the fridge, should I still be running it? - Or leaving it cranked open slightly to breath when not in use? - Thoughts please.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tommobot said:

I've manged to get hold of an Alpicool CF45 with the LG compressor, happy with it so far.

Its been running 24/7 for just over a week via a 150w solar panel and a 85ah lesiure battety without issue and without starting the car at all which I was very impressed with!

At the moment I'm not using the fridge, should I still be running it? - Or leaving it cranked open slightly to breath when not in use? - Thoughts please.

Ideally leave it slightly open, or you can put a few silica gel capsules in there and leave it shut

Impressive, and in line with my experience.

And yes, no need to run it all the time, and leave it cracked to avoid condensation - a wipe down with anti-mould kitchen spray helps to stop any bits you missed while cleaning it turning into green fuzz.